Question

Dell inspiron 1525 processor with Virtualization?

By Healer ·
I tested the computer with havdetectiontool.exe and it said the computer processor supported virtualization. Having installed WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu I continued with the setup. Then all of a sudden an error message came up saying the virtualization was not turned on at the BIOS or the BIOS needs to be updated. I googled around and found nothing to be positive. Could somebody confirm this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

31 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Enter the BIOS and turn it on ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Dell inspiron 1525 proces ...

That's all the message is meaning.

Virtualization capbility of the CPU can be toggled On/Off within the BIOS. No point in using (reserving) CPU cycles if you never intend using the facility.

Collapse -

Option unavailable in BIOS

by Healer In reply to Enter the BIOS and turn i ...

I forgot to mention that I had been through the BIOS before I did the posting. I could not find such option at all.

For some sort of bungle I couldn't join the forum there to ask the same question.

Collapse -

Well I've just checked inside my own BIOS ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Option unavailable in BIO ...

My enable/disable 'switch' is inside CPU Configuration and it's called Virtualisation Technology.

It's not a BIOS in a DELL machine but it might give you an indication of where to look.

Collapse -

I check again.

by Healer In reply to Well I've just checked in ...

The Processor Info is not changeable.

Processor Type = Intel(R) Penryn Dual Core
Processor ID = 00010676
Current Clock Speed = 2.40 GHz
Minimum Clock Speed = 1.20 GHz
Maximum Clock Speed = 2.40 GHz
Processor Cache Size = 3072KB
Dual Core Present = Yes

None of these fields are changeable.

Collapse -

I can't help feeling you're missing something ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to I check again.

We've now established that your DELL laptop is equipped with a T8300 Core2Duo that is capable of virtualization, and your system is telling you that it needs to be Enabled.

The only thing missing is your ability to spot WHERE that facility is sitting inside the BIOS.

It has to be there. It simply HAS to be. Unless the problem lies with the DELL laptop motherboard, which would be sad.

Collapse -

I looked

by Healer In reply to I can't help feeling you' ...

at it again and again but found nothing.

I don't know why Dell won't let us choose what we want to do. There is no option to switch to 64 bit either even though the processor supports it.

Collapse -

BIOS settings

by .Martin. In reply to Dell inspiron 1525 proces ...

you need to change the BIOS to get virtualization working, depending on the computer, you need to press a button at boot to get into bios, then have a look around fro an option regarding virtualization.

Collapse -

Not know if BIOS update would fix it

by Healer In reply to BIOS settings

I don't know if BIOS update is available for Dell computers. I can't find the information and their technical supports do charge for a fee.

Collapse -

Well you'll have to tell us the Model Number

by OH Smeg In reply to Not know if BIOS update w ...

And the BIOS Version that you have.

But this option is defiantly in the BIOS and needs to be enabled before you can use XP Mode under Windows 7.

Actually it's a bit of a Misnomer as both the M'Board and CPU has to support Vitalization. There are several M'Boards that use CPU's that do support this option but the M'Boards themselves do not support the option.

Needless to say that seem to be the ones made for companies exclusively like Dell and so on and they are always made to a price.

Col

Collapse -

No name no version for Dell BIOS

by Healer In reply to Well you'll have to tell ...

I can't see any name or version on Dell BIOS. I can't tell what motherboard either. It is a laptop. The CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @2.40GHz.

Back to Windows Forum
31 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next