General discussion

Dell Inspiron 5000e

By bscben ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 5000e, running Win2k. User claims that while using this laptop, at times it will shut itself off. (Note: I have had this unit running for days on end and problems do not arise).

1. Ran Dell Diagnostics, all tests passed.
2. CPU fan running properly.
3. BIOS is latest revision, A06.
4. Disabled all power management schemes, even in the CMOS.

This is all I have been able to find out through Dell & Google. Can my friends here at TechRepublic have the answer??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Dell Inspiron 5000e

by smmurphy In reply to Dell Inspiron 5000e

Don't take this the wrong way, but could it be user error?
I had a client who insisted he had the same problem with an IBM t22 laptop. He insited it was plugged in and running on AC. It turned out he had it plugged into a surge protector that was blown.

Collapse -

Dell Inspiron 5000e

by bscben In reply to Dell Inspiron 5000e

This issue is not only happening on this laptop, but on a few more 5000e models in my company. Another user it is occurring to is the Manager of Helpdesk Services. Plus, the user sometimes plugs directly into the wall, which is operational. Also,he is an area manager, so this problem occurs at more than one location he can be at.

Collapse -

Dell Inspiron 5000e

by hjs In reply to Dell Inspiron 5000e

We have seen this on Latitudes. It is always a motherboard issue. Are these under warranty? If not good luck.

Collapse -

Dell Inspiron 5000e

Well, I will try again through Dell Warranty, but they gave me the run around a few times already. It has been running great now for 6 weeks, but it happened again today. Now that I got my Dell Certs, maybe I can just order the parts and replace it myself. Question, should I just order a motherboard or are there any other parts that I may need??

Collapse -

Dell Inspiron 5000e

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)