Question

Dell Inspiron 8100 keyboard

By kmickler94 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and I thought I had a faulty keyboard but after replacing the keyboard the same problem has continued? The problems is that everything below the A,S row doesn't work along with enter and the arrow keys. I have read it could be the bios, windows or the keyboard interface. I flashed to the newest bios and have trouble shot windows (I am running Win 2K) and have found no problems...does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anyway to know that it is the interface before I buy another motherboard?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What kind of keyboard?

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Dell Inspiron 8100 keyboa ...

Is this a USB keyboard or a PS2 keyboard? If USB, have you tried a PS2? Vice versa?

Collapse -

onboard keyboard

by kmickler94 In reply to What kind of keyboard?

its the laptop keyboard that is acting up....an external keyboard works fine.

Collapse -

Well in that case it is very

by OH Smeg In reply to onboard keyboard

Unlikely to be the Keyboard to M'Board Interface. You'll need to look at Windows as the culprit here.

Collapse -

RE: Is there anyway to know that it is the interface before I buy

by OH Smeg In reply to Dell Inspiron 8100 keyboa ...

Yes you just have to use a Different OS to test with here. Instead of using the HDD to load the OS Stored on that you can use a Live Linux that runs off an Optical Disc and change the Boot Order in the BIOS to the Optical Disc before the HDD.

Then insert a Live Linux Disc and test off that.

If you are using the on board Keyboard try a USB Keyboard and see if the problem persists. You can get a free copy of a Live Linux from here

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Or go into your Local Newsagent and buy a Linux Mag with a Live Linux on the Cover Disc.

Col

Collapse -

Interface connector

by mjd420nova In reply to Dell Inspiron 8100 keyboa ...

This sounds like a bad connector or traces on the board near the connector. If a keyboard plugged into a USB port works okay, the interface chip and OS are good. Replacement could mean the whole MOBO or a skilled tech and low wattage soldering iron might cure the fault.

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)