Question

Dell Inspiron 9300..is it hard drive, power cord or fan??

By prbrowneyz ·
So my Dell Inspiron is acting very unusual. It started when I went on a road trip and used my laptop to watch movies. I put it on one time and it lit up then blinked and turned off. I would try to turn it back on and it just made a blink noise.

I noticed it was extremely hot so I had someone clean the inside out. Still happens. It stays on for alittle while, gets very hot to the point where the sticky stands on the bottom melted. My battery would also go fast. Sometimes when it got real low, I would plug the power cord in and it would freeze the whole computer. But if I plug the power cord in while it's off and start it up it's normal. But still gets very hot and ends up freezing.

I did a diagnosis on it and it came up with an error and I was told it was my hard drive. Mind me, after all these errors I did restore my dell to the original state it was. Still happened so now I know it wasn't the software or anything else. I am so confused. Is it the battery, hard drive or both?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Looks like a heat problem to me...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Dell Inspiron 9300..is it ...

Fan is likely not working properly. Check into that.

If you have run it to the point it melted the 'sticky stands', you may have damaged the processor.

I don't know what to tell you other than this.

Collapse -

If it is getting that hot as to "Melt" the stands.....

Then you need to take the laptop to a repair shop for them to check out the fans/heatpipes. It is very odd that it should get that hot though, usually it should just switch off when it gets too hot. Do not fiddle with it, just take it to a repair shop. Take out the hdd and if possible do a copy of it to save the info. You can get a external case/caddy for these hdd's.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Collapse -

"I had someone clean the inside out. ..." ~ WHO ? ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Dell Inspiron 9300..is it ...

Whoever "cleaned the inside out" would be my first port of call. Clearly it is a lot hotter now than it was before they touched it.

Collapse -

Starting with a cold unit

by mjd420nova In reply to Dell Inspiron 9300..is it ...

After letting it cool to normal, try removing the top cover by pulling all the screws on the bottom and use a PLASTIC wedge to seperate the top and bottom halves. Power the unit without a battery installed and use the back of your fingers to find out what's creating all the heat. Check the CPU, GPU, heat pipe and check the fans to see if they turn okay. Also check around the area where the adapter plugs into the board. After you locate the major heat source you can then look into a proper repair or replacement.

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)