Question

DELL Latitude D505

By jeff ·
I have a Dell Latitude D505 and want to load Windows-98 to enable me to run some old DOS based programs that will not run on XP. I have loaded W98 from the CD drive with a HDD format. With W98 running the PC will not recognise the CD drive so I am unable to load anything else. Also it will not recognise the LAN connection so I cannot get on the internet. It has no floppy drive. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the PC to recognise the Cd drive to enable me to load some drivers?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Hahahahahaha

by cmiller5400 In reply to DELL Latitude D505

I have to ask why didn't you just keep it XP and load a FREE Virtual PC http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx

then install Win98 on it. Much easier.

Collapse -

Try this

by Wizard-09 In reply to Hahahahahaha

The only thing that you can really do here seeing you can't run from the internal CD drive is get a USB CD drive, but 1st you need to get to another computer and download the driver and software to CD then use the USB CD drive to run the CD from it's your only option at this time.

Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.

If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as Helpful so that others may benefit from the outcome.

Collapse -

98win

by eltonpiko In reply to DELL Latitude D505

why dont you try installing a virtual machine and runn win98 on it instead you can download vitual pc on microsoft site install it on xp and install the win 98 on the virtual pc the run you dos software on it that would save you the win98 driver problem cause win 98 you have to install every little driver for any harware.

Collapse -

I beleave your issue is the CD you have

by LarryD4 In reply to DELL Latitude D505

My guess is your installing Win98 from a "first roll out" CD. If you were to track down a windows 98 2nd Edition CD you should not have problems getting the CD-ROM working.

Collapse -

Backpack?

by Kenone In reply to DELL Latitude D505

Do you have an old backpack kicking around? It's an external CD drive that plugs into a parallel port and usually loads it's own drivers. How about an old FDD? Open up the case and plug in the ribbon cable (you'll need that too). I hope the usb solution works for you but I've spent so much time fighting to get WIN 98 SE to work with usb that I'm not counting on it.

Back to Hardware Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)