Question

Dell Latitude D600 doesn't see modular FDD

By jaymzkerten ·
Pretty much says it right there. When I boot up the laptop, if I stick a floppy disk in the drive it will read it (tells me it's a non-system disk), but after I boot up XP the drive doesn't show up. It's not listed in my drive list, I checked the device manager and saw nothing, and the only drive listed under disk management is my HDD. We've checked the resource CD that comes with it, but don't see any drivers on it for the FDD.

Is there something I'm missing? I've covered all my bases so far that I know of.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Couple of checks

by IC-IT In reply to Dell Latitude D600 doesn' ...

Open your BIOS (or Setup) and verify that the drive is set to enabled.

If it is then in XP open Disk Management and verify that it has been assigned a drive letter.

It may need cleaning or could have given up the ghost.

Collapse -

Already checked BIOS

by jaymzkerten In reply to Couple of checks

I already went thru the BIOS, and I didn't see anything to say one way or the other if the FDD was enabled or disabled.

Collapse -

What kind of D600 is this?

by Kenone In reply to Dell Latitude D600 doesn' ...

The D600s that I have here don't come with floppy drives and apparently Dell doesn't offer one as an option. How are you connecting this FDD?

Collapse -

I don't think it's standard

by jaymzkerten In reply to What kind of D600 is this ...

The D600s we have are equipped with a removable CD drive, and that can be swapped out for a floppy drive. It's not listed on Dell's site as a part you can get, but if you look up "FDDM-101" you can surely find places that sell it.

Collapse -

If it's a third party drive

by Kenone In reply to I don't think it's standa ...

you may need software (drivers) for it, ****, you may need a BIOS update. My units says that I can swap out the CDROM for an extra battery or a HDD, nothing about floppy drives.

Collapse -

"Dude, it's a Dell!"

by jaymzkerten In reply to If it's a third party dri ...

the floppy drives we have are labeled as a dell part, with their address on it. There are no 3rd party tags on them anywhere.

Collapse -

Assuming that is is a Plug In USB Drive

by OH Smeg In reply to Dell Latitude D600 doesn' ...

That maybe correct instead of looking under Drives you need to look in Devices and look for Floppy Disc there.

Col

Collapse -

Anyone else that might have some experience with these? NT

by jaymzkerten In reply to Dell Latitude D600 doesn' ...
Collapse -

Well I support 600 and 800

by LarryD4 In reply to Anyone else that might ha ...

From what I have read from the posts, its pointing to a bad floppy drive. Are you sure that the specifc floppy module is the right one for that model Dell?

For instance I have C840 floppy drive that will fit in the same bay of a CD ROM for a D600 but it would not recognize it.

Collapse -

Right model

by jaymzkerten In reply to Well I support 600 and 80 ...

It's the right model. I looked up the model number (FDDM-101) and it shows that it is supported by D600's. Also, it can't be bad, because when I first boot up the laptop, if I have a floppy disk in the drive it will attempt to access it and tell me "non-system disk".

I guess this should also be the point that I make note that we have many of these D600 laptops and the floppy drives aren't working on any of them.

Back to Hardware Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next