General discussion

Dell md3000i vs Fujitsu Eternus2000 model 200 for SMB SAN solution...

By springy77 ·
Hey guys my SMB company is getting ready to move from local storage to a SAN solution. We have a budget of around $8,000. We have a currently virtualized environment that we will be moving on the SAN with about 10 VM's and moving towards building a few more VM's and also virtualizing exchange. We will also be using the SAN device as our file storage. I am planning on mixing SAS drives with SATA drives, SAS for the VM's and SATA for files to keep the price down. I have spoken with our Dell rep and he recommended and quoted out the md3000i. I have seen many positive reviews on this device. I talked with a CDW storage representative and they recommended against the md3000i saying that it was an old architecture and chassy, it had a celeron CPU which would cause problems, and the controller cache memory of 512 would cause problems. They quoted out a Fujitsu Eternus2000 Model 200 for us with the same config (near line SAS drives instead of SATA) for the same price pretty much and said that this device was much better with at least 1-2 GB controller cache memory. I have looked online and can not find any reviews or testimony's for the Fujitsu product. Sooo I was wondering if anyone here has used this product or familiar with it and what information can you give me on it? Is the CDW rep correct on his assessment of the md30001? I am new to attached storage solutions so any other input would be greatly appreciated as well! :)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Paige

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

be careful

by thestorageman In reply to Dell md3000i vs Fujitsu E ...

I would go back to the CDW rep and tell him that you question his statements about the MD3000i product had a CPU in it I think it has an ASIC chip. Press him on referencable accounts for the Fujitsu system. I do not think they can intermix the SAS and SATA drive, but not sure. I just wanted. AS for expandability check it as well. One more thing woudl be performance, I f I was going to be doing server virtualization I would want to know the SPC numbers for the 2 systems, becaseu the last thing you want to have happen is a bottleneck in your storage.

Back to Hardware Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums