General discussion

DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootup problems

By mindroamsfree ·
I work at a secondary school and after recently installing XP SP2 we found that a small number of the machines had not installed it correctly and we were advised to uninstall as the system could be unstable. However, once uninstalled the system rebooted and after showing the DELL bootup screen the system rebooted again... and again, and again. The machines are now locked in a continuous cycle of rebooting, and obviously this is a major problem as the number of students now outweighs the number of machines available for use. Any advice offered would be much appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mindroamsfree In reply to DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootu ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootu ...

I hope that someone else can provide a less drastic solution, but my experience has been that a re-install of Win XP will be required. So far repair installations have not worked and a complete, clean installation has been the only thing that worked in such similar situations.

When a SP installation does not install properly, try re-installing the SP instead of deleting it. This almost always works for me.

Good luck.

Dalton

Collapse -

by mindroamsfree In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootu ...

Insert the XP cd and try a repair. Or, if you can, try rebuilding the Boot.ini file, it may just have a hard time finding the OS.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootu ...

no, no. this is due to incompatible app and the solution is (hopefully) boot into safe mode and uninstall offending app. see dell website for your service tag number or see support.microsoft.com for solutions to your reboot problem. one example is to boot into safe mode and uninstall an app called TV Media. if this is not you, dell will surely have this documented.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootu ...

then after you get it booting following the Sarge's plan. Get rid of SP2!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by mindroamsfree In reply to DELL OptiPlex GX260 bootu ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)