Question

Dell Optiplex SX270N will not power up.

By totalythom ·
I am having a big problem with my system. Every time I push the power button the computer starts to power up but then turns off. I have tried most of the basic things like, cleaning it out, checking the connections, checking the power supply, so on but nothing works. I was told that Dell will replace the Mother Board but I have had the computer over two years so I don't think it under warranty. I have so much on my computer that I need to work every day so I'm lost. Can anyone help. Is there something I'm not thinking of? Anyone?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

See how you go with this

by Jacky Howe In reply to Dell Optiplex SX270N will ...

Faulty Fans, Dust and Grime build up on the Heatsink restricting air flow. I would give the inside of the case a blowout with compressed air. When blowing air through the fans make sure that you physically stop them from spinning, as they may generate power and **** something up. Then remove the Heatsink, giving it a thorough clean and reseat the CPU applying new CPU grease. If the Fans spin freely when you give them a spin they are probably OK. If there is resistance replace them.

Clean the golden edge of each memory stick with a soft rubber, remembering not to touch the golden edge of the memory stick. Check with one stick at a time, remembering to disconnect the power from the PC.

Also check Capacitors around the CPU for swelling or bulging.

A faulty PSU can also cause it. Fluctuating power is no good for the motherboard. Try another one if available or replace it.

A rough idea
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/16205_motherboards-remove-cpu.htm

Collapse -

check MB for bad CAPS

by fatmann In reply to Dell Optiplex SX270N will ...

Does the power light blink amber?

The 270's and 280's have a known issue with there mother boards, the CAPS swell; open the case up and look for bulging CAPs (small black cylinders with a silver top)that surround the CPU. If any of the tops look concaved instead of flat or have a brown residue they are bad. This will cause boot loops the blinking amber pwr light and will make the PC run really slow.

dell no longer warranties the motherboards for this issue. you would have to buy a new one for around $150 or change out the caps yourself if you are daring.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums