Question

Deminsion 1100 only beeps after attempting to upgrade RAM

By flkenpharm ·
Attempted to upgrade Ram from 256 to 1256 had it booted once with the 1 Gig Ram then I attempted to add 256 (to the 1 gig) all it does is beep. I have tried every combination of memory in banks along with original Ram in bank. Probably removed and change Ram at least 20 times per bank. Could I have ruined the banks on the motherboard because the Ram slides in very easy does not feel snug, as it did when putting it in the 1st time. If the motherboard needs to be replaced any suggestions? It is a Celeron about
14 months old.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Try cleaning the slots

by mjd420nova In reply to Deminsion 1100 only beeps ...

Not that uncommon for a unit that has blank slots to develop trouble when up grading. Use a stiff bristle acid brush and clean the slots really good. Also check to be sure the hold downs are allowing full insertion of the cards before latching or the latches maybe broken. These connections to the system board are usually plate-thru holes and are subject to breaking. If you have a very low wattage soldering iron(23 watts or less) you could try resoldering them from the back side to attempt a cure before replacing it. Good luck

Collapse -

Hot Plug RAM?

by willcomp In reply to Deminsion 1100 only beeps ...

You did turn PC off and unplug it while swapping RAM?

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)