General discussion

Deploying Client Apps 2003 SBS

By lyallaust ·
I am trying to deploy client applications on a per PC basis using SBS 2003 server. The built in wizards allow me to define the application and assign it on a per PC basis, but then it only places a shortcut on the desktop of the target PC (requires user interaction). I want to have this automated (without user interaction) but do not want to resort to group policies.

Is there an option to remove the requirement of user interaction within the 2003 client application deployment wizard?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ross.bale In reply to Deploying Client Apps 200 ...

Group Policy is the easiest way of managing this - I am not sure why you would not want to use this method. You can then configure Group Policy to remove and install new versions of software automatically when updates are available. If you want silent user installs, assuming that the software that you want to install comes as an MSI file, you can use something like OrcaInstaller to create an MST file which is then applied to the MSI file - the MST file contains specific settings that are used when the app is installed. Short of this, you could use products such as Office Resource Kit, but to manage the whole lot safely in 1 place Group Policy is the way to go as quite a few apps don't come with either scripted installation options or MSI files.

Collapse -

by lyallaust In reply to

I want to know how to make the wizard silent and automatic. It is a function of SBS 2003, and is similar to group policies (with a much nicer point and click interface) but runs via the netlogon script.

Collapse -

by lyallaust In reply to Deploying Client Apps 200 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)