General discussion

Desktop Icon snot showing in Win2000 server

By jf555 ·
Here is the situation and I would apreciate any help. It is PDC W2k server with SP3. Users can loggin and find their data. The desktop icons not showing, right click does not work on desktop, only on Start menu to bring up Explorer. If I find anexecutable and click on it, most of them won't run, just dies out or server freezes, however, Cntl-Alt-Del always works to get Task Manager. Explorer shows the 18 Desktop icons in the Desktop folder, clicking on most of them will not work, server freezes, unfreeze from Task Manager, there is always more than one Explorer process, I stop one, then it unfreezes. Can't install any program since nothing starts on the desktop. Can't connect to the internet with either IE or FF. All icons show when started in Safe Mode with Networking, although it takes about 10 min to boot it in this mode, can connect to the Internet but can't update to SP4 or any other MS upgrade because Active-X is not avialable in Safe Mode. How do I get it back to normal? The earliest image backup we have has been resorted but it still shows the same behavior, thanks to all of you for the any help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by eric.robillard In reply to Desktop Icon snot showing ...

Would recommend running a full scan for spyware/trojans with a commercial AntiVirus software. I would also run AdAware and SpyBot S&amp to be sure...

Collapse -

by jf555 In reply to

Your answer helped me eliminate what can't be done. In order to do what you suggest, I need to be able to scan with the booted server envirenment which the allegeled infection prevents! Unfortunately, none of the scanning programns, like Norton AV allows to load the RAID drivers when you boot from the CD. Thus have to use a Windows PE boot routine and then scan if possible

Collapse -

by jf555 In reply to Desktop Icon snot showing ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

by jf555 In reply to Desktop Icon snot showing ...

Hi Everybody, We all missed it, the behavior did look like that of a worm or other pest infested computer, however, it turned out to be quite different. The Server HAD concected an APC brand battery pack UPS whose monitoring software had the Root Certificate expire at the end of July. Once I edited out the respective APC software from starting on boot and then rebooted, everything came back normally! No more APC UPS for my clients!

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)