General discussion

DHCP Event ID 1014

By eric ·
I am receiving two Event errors in my Windows 2003 Standard Server Event logs. The first is an Event ID 1014 and the following text.

"The following problem occurred with the Jet database -1032: Jet database read or write operations failed. If the computer or database has just been upgraded, then this message can be safely ignored. If this message appears frequently, either there is not enough disk space to complete the operation or the database or backup database may be corrupt. To correct this problem, either free additional space on your hard disk or restore the database. After you restore the database, ensure that conflict detection is enabled in DHCP server properties"

That is followed by an Event 1010.
"The DHCP service encountered the following error while cleaning up the database:
An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the
DHCP server event log for more information on this error."

Both events list the source as DHCPServer.
A Database restore does not correct the problem. I Scratched DHCP and started over and the error returns. This server only supports 5 DHCP users. We have plenty of disk space. There are no errors on the drive.

The DHCP log on this server does not reflect any errors at all.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by aduran In reply to DHCP Event ID 1014

The following are some things you might look at (taken from the Eventid.net website.

Event I 1014
Source: DhcpServer
Type: Error
Description The Jet database returned the following Error: -<error code>

Comments
This event indicates a corrupted DHCP database (Using Jet.exe to compact the DHCP database does not resolve the issue.) See links below for recovering the DHCP database.
-Error: 1605 - See M189009.

Yvette Lian (Last update 6/30/2004):
Our Windows 2000 DHCP server had been running happily for over a year, then suddenly started recording 1014 and 1016 errors. The DHCP service appeared to be working ok; clients were leasing addresses without problems.

The 1014 errors were: The JET Database call returned the following error : -1032. Additional Debug Information: JetBackup.

The 1016 errors were: The DHCP service encountered the following error when backing up the database: An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the DHCP server event log for more information on this error.
This occurred whenever the DHCP service attempted to back up the database. I confirmed that the AV software was excluding the ?system32\dhcp? folder from its real-time scanning.
I could stop the DHCP service and manually compact the database but the error would recur the next time DHCP tried to automatically back itself up.
I used sysinternal?s "Handle" and "Filemon" tools to determine that the content indexing service was holding onto the folder ?system32\dhcp\backup\jet\old?. Attempts to access this folder via Explorer or the command prompt resulted in a "file in use" type of error.
I restarted the indexing service. After that, I got a 524 jet error, which KB 266361 indicates is "Could not delete backup file".
I then disabled content indexing on that folder (I do not know why it was enabled in the first place). Since then the DHCP service stops and starts perfectly without any errors.

Peter Van Gils (Last update 1/21/2004):

Collapse -

by eric In reply to

Thank you so much. That is exactly what was needed. As soon as I disabled indexing on that folder, the error cleared.

Collapse -

by eric In reply to DHCP Event ID 1014

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)