General discussion


DHCP Problems

By brisco ·
I have a w2k DHCP server. Currently all users have reservations in the DHCP and are mapped with those IP addresses into DNS (I only administer, I did not set up this system). Over the past couple days I get errors in my log about being low on IP addresses in my pool. I look at my leases and there are usually 10-12 leases given out as RAS leases to the same machine. Here's the kicker, the user did not RAS into the network (our network cannot be RAS'd into, they go through Corporate). The user had docked the day before here at the office, she has a DHCP reservation so she should have been assigned that IP address. This has happened on one other occassion that I know of, the difference is this time the RAS lease was to one of our servers. I can understand one address maybe mistakenly being given out that way, but not 10-12 at one time. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Try this

by cris2k In reply to DHCP Problems

I am not very sure what your problem is, but first take a look at the duration of a lese. As I know in NT 4.0 this was of 3 days by default. If this is the case, you should reconfigure your DHCP service to lease an IP for a shorter time (eg. only a day).
Then, you're saying you mapped the IP address of the clients in the DNS. Try using WINS and instruct DNS to use WINS for resolving local addresses. They do a prety good job toghether, at least they used to do in NT4.0, because I didn't get to work to much on W2k.
Hope this will help ya. Good luck!

Collapse -

DHCP Prob: Check for RAS (Server) Server

by tjapkesg In reply to DHCP Problems

I have run into this twice now. Unfortunately, my fix doesn't seem to working on this latest occurence. Anyway, if the user or users are running Windows NT 4.0, check their PC for Remote Access SERVER service. Altho the user may not be dialing out or in, and the Remote Access Server service isn't started (typically set to manual), for some reason, it seems to want to grab an IP from DHCP. Simply disabling this service resolved all issues we had with this problem at my last place of employment.

I might be missing something, since it is not working for me now. There may be something the admin didn't tell me about, which is why I am once again researching this problem. If you try this, please provide me with some feedback. I'd be great to hear whether or not it works for you.


Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums