General discussion

DHCP Won't Start/Run on SMS 2003

By DouglasB ·
The DHCP Client will not start or run on a machine running Small Business Server 2003. When I try to manually start the service I get an error message stating it started, then stopped because there is "nothing for it to do,", then the error messages states, "such as performance logs/alerts." I then go to Performanc Logs, and try to start that manually and get the same error message. I set both services to Automatic, rebooted and still have the same problem. Obviously none of the work stations connected to this server have internet access because DHCP is not working.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to DHCP Won't Start/Run on S ...

Is this server configured and working as a DHCP server? OR is there another server in the same domain that has the DHCP server installed and configured? In order for the DHCP client to run, and for any other clients to connect, you have to have an authorized and properly configured DHCP server running.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to DHCP Won't Start/Run on S ...

ah you have to define a scope, authorize it then activate it. Just installing DHCP in SBS 2003 won't authorize it for your DNS zone and if its not authorized you won't be able to use it for your DNS zone. It will shop not running.

Also, something a little different than on SBS 2000 is that if you have to reboot the server, the DHCP doesn't automatically come up in the running ready to service clients state. you have to go in start it.

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to DHCP Won't Start/Run on S ...

Thanks, I suspect the scope is the problem. How do I define the scope, does that have to be done from the command prompt or is there a program to define it? I am assuming this adds a range of acceptable IP address that the DHCP server can assign? I'm new to this, obviously.

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to DHCP Won't Start/Run on S ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)