General discussion

Diable onboard Video AST 828

By joewoburn ·
I'm trying to install a Diamond Stealth 32mb video card on an AST 828 computer. The current video is onboard. There is no listing for video in the bios. I don't have the specs for the motherboard. Does anyone have the specs for this motherboard and where the jumper might be to disable the video card???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Neehygh In reply to Diable onboard Video AST ...

Assuming you are running a FAT16 or FAT32 file system with a Windows OS, I suggest the following.

First, back up your registry by first copying the USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT files to a safe location. If you make video changes in Windows and can't get back in, you can easilyrestore these files to reverse the changes you make from DOS.

Disable the on-board video adapter in Device Manager properties by checking the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box for that device. Shut down.

Install the new card and reconnect the monitor to the new video card connector. Windows should boot in and recognize a Standard VGA driver at the least, or load the drivers for your new video card if it is PnP.

This does not require an on-board jumper setting change, and should allow you to use the new card instead of the on-board video.

Changes like this vary widely based on the computer you have, BIOS versions etc.. I hope this works for you.

Neehygh

Collapse -

by joewoburn In reply to Diable onboard Video AST ...

I did try this last night. Unfortunately there is no Disable in the Device Manger for the onboard video. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -

by joewoburn In reply to Diable onboard Video AST ...

This is great. Thanks so much. I will try it tonight.

Collapse -

by Pinoy_Teknik In reply to Diable onboard Video AST ...

Refer to your manual and find the topic for how to disable video on board...Hope you will find it, if not.....

If you already read the manual, hope you will see the Jumper setttings for that....
(IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MANUAL DOWNLOAD IT TO WWW.MOTHERBOARD.ORG)

If you don't know the built in VIDEO and i have known some utility here to know that...
http://members.hyperlink.net.au/~chart/pci.htm
You can find it here....

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)