General discussion

DIAL-UP NETWORKING DID NOT INSTALL FOLLOWING XP UPGRADE FROM WIN 2000P

By Eddie, GH ·
I recently upgraded my PCs in my network from Windows 2000P to Win XP(P).

After the upgrade, dial-networking did not install in some PCs. I detected this in the PCs that run dial-up services in addition to DSL. In the course of troubleshooting, I discovered that the 'remote access connection manager' service in computer manager would not start automatically.

Could this be the cause of the problem? When I clicked to start it manually, I got the response 'access denied'.

I would not want to lose the mail in my mail folders if I have to do a fresh installation. What do I do?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to DIAL-UP NETWORKING DID NO ...

did you turn off the xp firewall for a test on one to see if that causesc your "access denied" error
are you saying when you try to re-install the dial up networking adapter you cannot?

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

here is how to make a firewall 'exception' for the remote connection: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840634

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

here is one of several microsoft support articles found by Googling 'Windows xp dial up networking'
"Network and Dial-up Connections" folder icons missing
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269019/

Collapse -

by Eddie, GH In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Eddie, GH In reply to DIAL-UP NETWORKING DID NO ...

The XP firewalls on both PCs are off. We have 3rd party AVs with firewalls installed. But I doubt that it is a firewall problem.

At network neighbourhood, the setup options has the dial-up option inactive (menu is not highlighted). The same situation is in E-mail accounts options in Microsoft Outlook. The option to use dial-up when network is inactive is not allowed.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)