General discussion

directories renamed to "dir00001 etc."

By Rick H ·
We have one machine with ME on it and last week it crashed (while I was out of the office), so who knows what happened. Anyway, it would only boot to DOS and would not recognize any other directories. When I did a "dir" all of the directories were renamed to things like dir00001, dir00002 etc.
Does anyone have any clue as to what might have happened. I was going to do an fdisk and start from scratch myself but I chose to send it out to someone with more experience than me. But I still would like to gain some knowledge from this.
Thanks,
Rick

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RCOM In reply to directories renamed to "d ...

This is the result of running scandisk. When the directory structure is bad the directories will be renamed to this file type.

You can probably salvage quite a bit from the folders. Like if you do a search for *.doc you may be able to find word documents. If you had images you can look for *.bmp, jpg, gif. Exel is .xls. Copy the files to a new drive or something like that. The way to search in DOS is to type the following command and changing the file name for the different types you are seeking. From the C prompt type command and hit enter.

dir *.doc /s

Connect and setup the drive as a secondary into another PC then you can go through the folders and look for anything that you wanted to keep.

One thing to try, If the windowsfolder still exsists you can is reinstall OS into a different folder. After getting the system back up and running you can go through the dir00001 folders and look for your work or important files. Hopefully it's not too late and the more experienced person hasn't trashed the drive yet.

Collapse -

by Rick H In reply to directories renamed to "d ...

Thanks for your reply, I only rated this as unacceptable in hopes of getting more responses. I understand what you you are saying about scandisk as I have seen this many times, but to have every single directory AND file renamed is definately not normal. Something besides a bad structure or lost cluster has to have happened here.

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to directories renamed to "d ...

See the bottom of this page:
http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/misc-ts.html

And the whole of this Q&A:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win95_3x/Win95/Q_10562663.html

And from:
http://www.computerrepairservice.com/messages/549.html
Which states:
"When a disk utility checks the file and directory structure, it’s actually comparing two copies of the file allocation table. Since there are two copies of this table located in two different areas of the hard disk,odds are that one of the tables will be intact. The utility can use one table to rebuild the other.

But what if both tables are damaged? The utility will combine information from the two tables and try to reconstruct the file allocation table. Ifthe utility can’t complete the table from information contained in the two copies, it will fill in the gaps with generic information. For example, if a utility finds files but can’t determine the directory to which they belong, the utility may create a directory, name it something like DIR00001, and place the files in it. After running the utility, search the directories with generic names for files you recognize and then place them manually into the correct directory."

---
Bestoption is to recover what you can from the drive and replace it.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by AyukNotna In reply to directories renamed to "d ...

Re-installation of OS and other programs is another option after low level reformatting of your hard disk (FDISK), but before you do that copy all the remaining files from your HDD into your AOL free web space, or create an account in Yahoo! and getextra 30 MB of free storage, for further recovery of useful files. I'm sure you're not gonna be able to recover much from "dir000?" files. Hope this could help.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)