General discussion

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

By kalmang ·
System: Amd 700, 128 mb ram, 15 Gig HD,3dfx 3500. CDRW, DVD, floppy.

Whenever a game is run, it will exit on its after a few minutes. I tried updating directX, but the system crashes during install. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

by Paul D. Masley In reply to Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

When you installed the video card, did you use the disk and followed the outline that came with it?

The 3500 is real particular about the installation.

Go to your video settings and set it for minimum colors and the lowest resolution (640 range).

Then go to the system manager and remove the video card under display adapters. Shut down your system. You did not say if the card was PCI or AGP. If the card is PCI, Move the card at lease two slots away from the AGP slot (leave a blank PCI lost in between). Reboot the system. Let windows find the card and install its driver database. Then use the CD to finish the installation. Also, us the DirectX installation on the card. Reboot and then try your games. If your games now run, you should be set. You may want to go to Microsoft and update the DirectX drivers to 7A.

Hope this solves your problem.

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

by kalmang In reply to Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

The computer crashed when I followed this advise.

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

When you installed the video card, did you use the disk and followed the outline that came with it?

Go to your video settings and set it for minimum colors and the lowest resolution (640 range).

Then go to the system manager and remove the video card under display adapters. Shut down your system. You did not say if the card was PCI or AGP. If the card is PCI, Move the card at lease two slots away from the AGP slot (leave a blank PCI lost in between). Reboot the system. Let windows find the card and install its driver database. Then use the CD to finish the installation. Also, us the DirectX installation on the card. Reboot and then try your games. If your games now run, you should be set. You may want to go to Microsoft and update the DirectX drivers to 7A.

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

by Fred King In reply to Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

Check the game is compatible with you grpahics.
Goto their web and see if there is a patch for your graphics card.
Try and get Directx 7.0a it should work a lot better.
Last resort, uninstall all of them and start again, with your graphics card first.
When my games crash out it is usually because the graphics are set too high - most games like 600*800 using 16 bit color.

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

TRied that. Didn't work.

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

I replaced the HD, and started from scratch. I noticed that I have a problem with programs that use Directx 7. I have upgraded to 7a and no change. I also updated the video drivers and no joy. Any ideas? Should I just change the card?

Collapse -

Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Directx 7 and 3dfx3500

your directx files maybe corrupt
this may or may not help this is a site that has directx uninstaller try it before u change the video card
http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/downloads.

Back to Desktop Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next