Question

disable " simple file shering" from windows PCs XP pro and Win 2000 pro

By jorgep ·
I have to instal Endpoint software Antivirus from symantec but when I deploy the the software packege from the Symatec Antivirus server the "simple File Sharin" which is on by default is on the way.
If I disable manualy the deployment goes like charm.
The question here is how disable it fron a central station to reach about 5000 PCs and have no user intervention at all. Also what will be the impact of disabling simpli file sharing from thr computer.
All the computer belong to a windows 2000 domain.
Any help will be greatly apreciate.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

GPO

by shasca In reply to disable " simple file she ...

We have had to do the same thig for our KBOX application to connect for us to manage workstations. We have seen no repercussions form do so.

If the clients are part of a Windows* domain, you can apply a Group Policy to the clients that need to have this setting disabled.
To configure the Group Policy to disable this setting, browse to the following in the Group Policy Editor on a domain controller:
Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts
Set this policy to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves.
When this policy applies to the client, it sets the following registry key to 0:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\forceguest

Collapse -

I hope you tested this out thoroughly

by Kenone In reply to disable " simple file she ...

I struggled with SEP for a year and never got satisfactory results on a much smaller deployment. There was always a problem, always a new update to download, always an excuse.

Collapse -

disable " simple file shering" from windows PCs XP

by jorgep In reply to disable " simple file she ...

I foun a command line that worked like a cham.
It can be put at the end of the Windows Domain login scrip and works fine with no user intervention and no user knoledge.
this is the line:
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa /v forceguest /t
REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

All this is just one fuel Line. It worked for me on 5000 computers.

Hope that this can help some body elsa

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)