General discussion

Disable Windows 2000 Pro plug & play?

By RockyHud ·
My work involves setting up PC-based test stations, writing test scripts and testing mass storage arrays and their storage controllers. Currently we're using WinNT 4.0, however, we need to migrate to Win2K in the near future. WinNT works quite well for us in that it doesn't try to "take possession" of the disk drives, arrays and controllers it's connected to, due to no plug & play. The problem with Win2K is that it does and interferes with our test program. So, how does one
disable Win2K plugand play?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DrewTipton In reply to Disable Windows 2000 Pro ...

While we haven't had this problem yet, it's something that we've looked into. The only solution that I've seen so far is from Gibson Research (www.grc.com). He's got a program (freeware) that disables Universal Plug and Play in 2k and XP, and it can be enabled if you need it to be.

Collapse -

by RockyHud In reply to Disable Windows 2000 Pro ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out grc.com and found their Universal Plug and Play program didn't truly disable Windows Plug & Play - it apparently only disables some Windows vulnerabilities exploitable via Internet connections. I eventuallyfound Windows Plug & Play Services listed and disabled this. However, the results were not what was desired - this kills Windows ability to identify the hardware within its environment as evidenced by NO hardware showing up under Device Manager. It also killed HyperTerminal as this app requires an ATAPI service that is dependent on services.exe, the executable that actually runs Plug & Play.

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Disable Windows 2000 Pro ...

PnP should be configured thru the CMOS Panel to the BIOS
Boot the computer and press the key to enter Bios,look in the Advanced Features,which should include a menu for PnP,highlight and choose the disable mode

Collapse -

Thanks for your suggestion. With the Compaq DeskPro PCs being used this is not an option - the BIOS doesn't allow access to this function. While I haven't tried it on other brands of PCs running Win2K, I suspect that it wouldn't produce the desired results, as I have disabled this on older DEC PCs running Win98 and it didn't inhibit its Plug & Play functions.

Collapse -

by bohicam1 In reply to Disable Windows 2000 Pro ...

Just go into the CMOS of each puter and disable plug and play in the bios.
Good luck!

Mike

Collapse -

Thanks for your suggestion. With the Compaq DeskPro PCs being used this is not an option - the BIOS doesn't allow access to this function. While I haven't tried it on other brands of PCs running Win2K, I suspect that it wouldn't produce the desired results, as I have disabled this on older DEC PCs running Win98 and it didn't inhibit its Plug & Play functions.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)