Disaster Recovery and business continuation questions.Locked
Disaster Recovery and business continuation help
We are looking into DR and BC right now and I could use some input.
We are a small company of about 31 employees. We have one site, which is our main office. At the main office we have 3 windows 2003 servers and 2 Linux servers. The 3 windows servers are:
1. File/print server – AD
2. Exchange 2003 server – AD
3. Terminal Server(RDP)/web/SQL – member
The 2 linux servers are:
2. ASP server for a few customers.
We are going to purchase 2 servers and put them at a remote location – yet to be determined.
I would like to virtualize the linux servers and use rsync through a VPN tunnel to keep them current at the remote location.
The windows servers I plan on creating 2 virtual servers – one for terminal services, web and SQL and the other for file/print services and AD.
So on the 1 physical server at the remote location I will have 2 virtual linux and 2 virtual windows running and the other physical server will have exchange on it.
1. What is the best way to replicate windows files/AD/SQL/Exchange, so that I have a current or near current copy if the main site goes down?
2. I’m going to have a VPN tunnel between the sites, should the other site be the same domain(mydomain.com), a tree in the domain(bk.mydomain.com) or a separate domain(mybackupdomain.com?
Any help would be appreciated. Also, if this is the wrong approach please let me know why?