General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

DLink DSL 200

by diskaus ·

I have a desktop system that I recently did a fresh install of XP Pro with SP2 & windows update.
    I try to install my DLink DSL 200 (either with the setup Cd that come with or a fresh version downloaded from Dlink website I keep getting an error ” there is a problem installing the drivers for your modem:

The operating system could not install the driver properly.

Please contact technical support for assistance”

I know there is an issue with USB transfer and there is a fix in SP1 but if SP2 goes in that ruled that out, Right?

the frustrating part about his is the modem installs fine on a HP laptop running XP PRO SP2 and was installed on this system before fresh install too, ( no changes in hardware or software to rule out, system is identical to as it was before fresh install).
    I just can?t think of anything else to try.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: DLink DSL 200

by black panther ·

In reply to DLink DSL 200

by diskaus ·

In reply to Reply To: DLink DSL 200

Does not tell me anything new , thanks ant way , please feel free to submit again

by black panther ·

The only other thing I would try is to try and install another type of modem ( if you can get/borrow one ) on the system and see if it works ok.

If it does there must be some incompatibility between the modem drivers and XP and the hardware you have??

Years ago I had a big headache with a modem – in the end I sent it back got another one and it worked perfectly!

Good luck

by diskaus ·

Thanks for the thought but even if I do this it still does not explain why and what is happeneing and how to fix it.

by dustyd ·

What country are you using this in? A quick check of DLink shows the product not dist. in US, DLink UK says there are no drivers provided, should be plugnplay on all OS’s EXCEPT XP.

Maybe you could try checking your USB Controllers, or your actual port. Does USB function with other peripherals?

by diskaus ·

Usb works fine , modem picks up in XP but you have to install using the cd provided xp does not see any drivers as such on the cd, the country is Australia.

by gkheart1 ·

Hi,
      I have seen problems with some versions/ installations of windows with certain DLink hardware products. ( Drivers won’t install)

You may want to save yourself a headache and switch to a different modem.

Or there may be an IRQ conflict?

Regards, Gil

by diskaus ·

Thanks for the thought but even if I do this it still does not explain why and what is happeneing and how to fix it.

by david.hilton ·

I have the same modem and it was working fine untill i upgraded my PC (new MB,CPU, memory) and had to re-install windows and drivers. The problem occurs in the install process, for some reason a bin file can not be copied from the installation cd. A similar problem occured when i tried to install my 56k usb modem. The Ram i installed is DDR400 but the MB speed is DDR333, so i’m thinking this may be the problem and i will try a 333 ram stick tonight.

by diskaus ·

Now using a DSL302 works bot as usb and ethernet, blowed if i know why the DSL 200 wont install, the only difference between your case and mine is that i had no hardware changes and a fresh intall of XP Pro, Good luck with yours and thanks for the thought.

by david.hilton ·

I tried another memory stick – same thing happened. I formatted the drive and installed windows – same thing happened. So i booted up in safe mode and installed the modem drivers, and tadda, it works. I tried to install other drivers, (not in safe mode) such as the audio and i had similar problems, so i installed them in safe mode too. I don’t know whats going on, any ideas anybody?

by diskaus ·

I have given up and used another modem instead now.

by curacao_dejavu ·

going through all the posts.
      this probably has something to do with the driver signing and the xp’s way to verify the driver and install.

safe mode would be an option or lower the settings in system properties, driver signing to ignore and try again out.

Leopold

by diskaus ·

Had it installed before formating even with SP2 installed both occasions

by diskaus ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 7 reply threads