General discussion

DLink DSL 200

By diskaus ·
I have a desktop system that I recently did a fresh install of XP Pro with SP2 & windows update.
I try to install my DLink DSL 200 (either with the setup Cd that come with or a fresh version downloaded from Dlink website I keep getting an error " there is a problem installing the drivers for your modem:

The operating system could not install the driver properly.

Please contact technical support for assistance"

I know there is an issue with USB transfer and there is a fix in SP1 but if SP2 goes in that ruled that out, Right?

the frustrating part about his is the modem installs fine on a HP laptop running XP PRO SP2 and was installed on this system before fresh install too, ( no changes in hardware or software to rule out, system is identical to as it was before fresh install).
I just can?t think of anything else to try.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Black Panther In reply to DLink DSL 200

maybe this will help

http://www.pacific.net.au/technical_support/dsl/hardware/dlink200/

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Does not tell me anything new , thanks ant way , please feel free to submit again

Collapse -

by Black Panther In reply to DLink DSL 200

The only other thing I would try is to try and install another type of modem ( if you can get/borrow one ) on the system and see if it works ok.

If it does there must be some incompatibility between the modem drivers and XP and the hardware you have??

Years ago I had a big headache with a modem - in the end I sent it back got another one and it worked perfectly!

Good luck

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Thanks for the thought but even if I do this it still does not explain why and what is happeneing and how to fix it.

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to DLink DSL 200

What country are you using this in? A quick check of DLink shows the product not dist. in US, DLink UK says there are no drivers provided, should be plugnplay on all OS's EXCEPT XP.

Maybe you could try checking your USB Controllers, or your actual port. Does USB function with other peripherals?

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Usb works fine , modem picks up in XP but you have to install using the cd provided xp does not see any drivers as such on the cd, the country is Australia.

Collapse -

by gkheart1 In reply to DLink DSL 200

Hi,
I have seen problems with some versions/ installations of windows with certain DLink hardware products. ( Drivers won't install)

You may want to save yourself a headache and switch to a different modem.

Or there may be an IRQ conflict?

Regards, Gil

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Thanks for the thought but even if I do this it still does not explain why and what is happeneing and how to fix it.

Collapse -

by david.hilton In reply to DLink DSL 200

I have the same modem and it was working fine untill i upgraded my PC (new MB,CPU, memory) and had to re-install windows and drivers. The problem occurs in the install process, for some reason a bin file can not be copied from the installation cd. A similar problem occured when i tried to install my 56k usb modem. The Ram i installed is DDR400 but the MB speed is DDR333, so i'm thinking this may be the problem and i will try a 333 ram stick tonight.

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Now using a DSL302 works bot as usb and ethernet, blowed if i know why the DSL 200 wont install, the only difference between your case and mine is that i had no hardware changes and a fresh intall of XP Pro, Good luck with yours and thanks for the thought.

Back to Desktop Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next