General discussion

DNS entries from NT4 to 2000

By apitsos ·
Is there an easy way to move my DNS entries from NT4 DNS to 2000? I am moving them manually now and have over 150 of them.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to DNS entries from NT4 to 2 ...

Yes. Copy your .dns file from NT4, and place it into %systemroot%\system32\dns folder on the Win2k machine. Go into DNS admin and create you new forward lookup zone. You can supply an existing file, after to supply the zone name.

Collapse -

by apitsos In reply to DNS entries from NT4 to 2 ...

Still needing some input. I moved them tothe DNS folder bt cannot get them to show up in Forward lookup on the 2K box.

Collapse -

by OriDjinn In reply to DNS entries from NT4 to 2 ...

After you have copied the DNS directory, you still have to set up the Zone files. Just create a new zone with the same name as your original zone. Example, if you have a file located in your DNS directory called microsoft.com.dns you need to create a new zone called microsoft.com and this will point to the microsoft.com.dns file. If you need additional help, please feel free to send me a peer message.

Collapse -

I guess this doesn't help - I moved all the items over ther but I still had to created the zones and had to make them secondary at that. They will not primary until we convert all of the items. Bottom line is I ahve to type them in all manually. Thanks to evreyone who tried tohelp.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)