Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event I 506
Date: 10/8/2010
Time: 4:56:41 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXX
Description:
The DNS server has invalid or corrupted registry parameter NotifyServers. To correct the problem, you can delete the applicable registry value, located under DNS server parameters in the registry. You can then recreate it using the DNS console. For more information, see the online Help.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.";

There is a second 506 entry that says this:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event I 506
Date: 10/11/2010
Time: 10:06:19 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXXX
Description:
The DNS server has invalid or corrupted registry parameter SecondaryServers. To correct the problem, you can delete the applicable registry value, located under DNS server parameters in the registry. You can then recreate it using the DNS console. For more information, see the online Help.

Did what the link suggested and it didn't fix it.

I have two DNS servers the one having this event is a Windows 2003 SP2 server. The 2008 server DNS isn't having the problem.

They are both AD integrated etc.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

What is the topology of your Network here?

by OH Smeg In reply to DNS Event ID 506

Most times you only need the 1 DNS Server.

Col

Collapse -

true

by engsoft In reply to What is the topology of y ...

Thought about that the 2003 DNS server is from the old backup DC I have since put the 2008 server onboard. Reason I haven't quit using the 2003 is I'm sure I have some clients pointing to it for DNS still.

Collapse -

did you run addprep/forestprep & addprep/domain prep

by CG IT In reply to DNS Event ID 506

from the Windows 2008 CD sources addprep folder on the Windows 2003 DC? if you didn't,
I suggest you remove the DC component as a role on W2008 server to make it a member server of the domain, then run addprep/forestprep and addprep/domainprep on the W2003 server from the W2008 CD.

then install the DC role on the W2008 server.

you can install the DNS role on the W2008 server after running the preps AD intergrated mode, and install the global catalog role. Removing your old DC along with DNS server will cause AD to not function if there is not valid DNS server that is authoritative for DNS zone of the domain.

I would ensure that both DNS and DC replications are functioning properly before you demote the old DC [also transfer the FSMO roles before you demote]

Collapse -

Did all that

by engsoft In reply to did you run addprep/fores ...

This is a issue with the DNS server running on my backup 2003 DC. I did all the prep stuff over a year ago when I replaced my original DC with a 2008 server.

The DNS on the 2003 server worked fine until last Friday when it started getting the 506 event.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)