General discussion

DNS / Event ID 5788 5789 Netlogon

By timothy.sharpe ·
My workstations keep generating 5788 and 5789 netlogon system event errors.

I just upgraded my NT PDC to Windows 2000 server / mixed mode about a week ago. We still have 5 NT BDCs and all of our workstations are Win 2000. I set up AD and DNS. I have DNS forwarders setup to my ISP DNS addresses and WINS forward lookup is enabled to the ISP WINS addresses as well. I also set up reverse look up zones. Everything seems to be working fine and there are no DNS events being logged on the servers but the workstations keep generating 5788 and 5789 Netlogon system error events.

I have scoured the web and MS sites for a resolution. So far I have verified that "authenticated user" has change permissions in the "Access this computer from the network" user right for the Default domain controllers Group Policy Object (GPO) in the Domain Controllers organizational unit. I have also checked the permissions on the Sysvol share as recommended by Microsoft and I added permissions as recommended. I still cannot get rid of these errors; the workstations generate the errors about every two hours. He computer objects have read, write, create, delete child objects, and change passwords permissions.

The errors are as follows. (computername).ofc.govt.state.ma.us is the FQDN

Attempt to update HOST Service Principal Names (SPNs) of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated values were 'HOST/OFC2-CEN070.ofc.govt.state.ma.us' and 'HOST/OFC2-CEN070'. The following error occurred:
Access is denied.

Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated value was 'OFC2-CEN070.ofc.govt.state.ma.us'. The following error occurred:
Access is denied.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to DNS / Event ID 5788 5789 ...

How about this Technet article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258503

Check it out and try it.

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to

No, I do not think that is it. I just set up the 2000 AD and DNS about a week ago so there have been no changes to the FQDN. The FQDN is '<host>.ofc.govt.state.ma.us' and an example PC name is 'OFC2-CEN070.ofc.govt.state.ma.us' so there is no miss-match. Thanks for trying.

Earlier I said that I was not getting DNS event errors on the server, I was wrong. I am getting system event error 5781 on the Windows 2000 primary server. It states "Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more dns records failed because no dns records are available". This event is generated every two hours on the server. I have found some articles about this error being generated at boot up as a one-time event but nothing about it re-occurring every two hou

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to DNS / Event ID 5788 5789 ...

No, I do not think that is it. I just set up the 2000 AD and DNS about a week ago so there have been no changes to the FQDN. The FQDN is '<host>.ofc.govt.state.ma.us' and an example PC name is 'OFC2-CEN070.ofc.govt.state.ma.us' so there is no miss-match. Thanks for trying.

Earlier I said that I was not getting DNS event errors on the server, I was wrong. I am getting system event error 5781 on the Windows 2000 primary server. It states "Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more dns records failed because no dns records are available". This event is generated every two hours on the server. I have found some articles about this error being generated at boot up as a one-time event but nothing about it re-occurring every two hours.

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to DNS / Event ID 5788 5789 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)