General discussion

DNS - hello123.com on LAN shows nothing

By Frank-MW ·
Domain name www.hello123.com (fictitious)shows webpage outside the company and mail.hello123.com retrieves POP mail.
Company's W2K Domain name is hello123.com and smb hello123
On the Lan PCs, a hello123.com in IE show nothing and mail.hello123.com won't retrieve POP email.
How can I chance the DC's DNS , so that the main DC is not looking at itself for hello123.com but on the internet.
??
Please include steps or a URL/link to the all explaining white paper/Article

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Kinetechs In reply to DNS - hello123.com on LAN ...

Both your regiesterd internet domain and internal AD domain are identically named. What's happening is that you internal AD DNS server is authorative for hello123.com and doensn't have a record for your hast names www and mail. All you have to do is open the DNS MMC on your DC and create the needed records in the hello123.com zone. Doing it any other way (i.e. making your DC look to the external DNS servers) will "break" AD.

Easy fix, hope it help you.
~Sean

Collapse -

by Kinetechs In reply to

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308201&sd=tech#6

Collapse -

by Frank-MW In reply to

zrabi, your URL goes into MS nowhereland, please check

Collapse -

Both your regiesterd internet domain and internal AD domain are identically named. What's happening is that you internal AD DNS server is authorative for hello123.com and doensn't have a record for your hast names www and mail. All you have to do is open the DNS MMC on your DC and create the needed records in the hello123.com zone. Doing it any other way (i.e. making your DC look to the external DNS servers) will "break" AD.

Easy fix, hope it help you.
~Sean

Collapse -

by Frank-MW In reply to

Thanks, the reason I posted is to get the info on how to change the records in the DNS MMC. Please refer to a MS article or show me the steps on 'how to' Your help is very much appreciated.

Collapse -

The URL submitted is correct if you remember to take out the spaces that get added into the URL when it gets posted on the board.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308 201&sd=tech#6

take out ALL spaces.

Collapse -

by Frank-MW In reply to

Hey zrabi, URL below worked for me (loose the &sd=tech#6), but it is one I know already.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308201
What I am trying to avoid is trying things and screw up a working business environment.
Therefore I posted this question.
But let me help you help me.....(..)
I guess I need to add an A record
So, I type mail, enter the IP address, select to create a pointer record, and.. error comes up, cannot create pointer record, cannot create PTR record, probably because corresponding reverse lookup zone cannot be found.

So, which steps do I need to take to get www.hello123.com and mail.hello123.com resolved correctly?
How inportant is the PTR record? Do I need to alter the reverse lookup zone too?

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)