General discussion

DNS, Netgear DG834 Router Issue

By malcolm.barclay ·
Lately i have been getting heaps of calls from customers claiming that there internet is not working. ie(connects ok, but browsing webpages are not working.)

I have been checking the setup in these places, nothing from what i can tell has changed, but alas, there's still no web browser activity.

This is how i setup my routers:(just as straight forward as i could make it)

i have the netgear DG834 series routers everywhere, and i set them up as follows:

obtain dns and ip address automatically
(no dhcp, turned this off)
lan ip address of router: 192.168.0.100

2k Server hands out IP via dhcp which is configured as follows:

DHCP range 192.168.0.4 to 192.168.0.99
Router address: 192.168.0.100
DNS Server: 192.168.0.100

AS you can see, all clients are pointed to router for dns ie (192.168.0.100)

i have had the setup working for ages, not a problem.

Now it seems that i have to change DNS information on routers, clients etc, a real pain. I'll explain,
when i hard coded the dns information(telstra dns)into the router, as opposed to letting it get it dynamically from ISP, all browsing started to work on clients....not sure why this is the case, has there been changes with telstra is queensland of late.

A few things i'm unclear about::)

-do i have to hard code the dns in the nic properties of the clients also?
-do i have to hard code dns into the router itself, if so why has this change...etc?
-if i do hard code dns into router, will i have to change it everytime telstra changes the dns server information..?

appreciate any expert advise.
cheers

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to DNS, Netgear DG834 Router ...

Well it is FAR from expert advice but the only time I've seen a similar situation is when the local ISP switched from DHCP to static addressing and didn't get email to all clients.

If they use the same ISP, I would start to question the ISP and see if settings have changed on their end.

Collapse -

by G.Brown In reply to DNS, Netgear DG834 Router ...

Hi, I use the DG814 .. have had quite a few problems with it ... it sometimes gets quite confused and will not update it's DNS unless I turn off the power.

"do i have to hard code the dns in the nic properties of the clients also"

If the clients are using DHCP then it should pick up the proper DNS from the router, so you shouldn't have to set each NIC

"do i have to hard code dns into the router itself, if so why has this change"

You shouldn't do ... it should pick it up from your ISP unless they have technical problems.

"if i do hard code dns into router, will i have to change it everytime telstra changes the dns server information"

If they change both DNS add's then, yes, you will have to change it .. check with your ISP (also signing up to any support/alert emails from your ISP they might inform you before they change any settings).

Collapse -

by ReWrite In reply to DNS, Netgear DG834 Router ...

If you have had the setup working in the past and now it doesn't start with the obvious. Has anything changed on the servers (software/service pack updates, new hardware etc). If nothing has changed there then give the isp a call. Tell them what's going on and see if they have an explanation. They might have stopped broadcasting the information or they might have a problem that they don't know about (yet).

If you do need to manually list the dns info you should only have to do it at the router. The pc's should pick this info up automatically.

Cheers.

RW

Collapse -

by martin_smyrk In reply to DNS, Netgear DG834 Router ...

I am experiencing a similar problem. The main difference, is I have the DG834 handling the DHCP. DNS server is being set to the IP of the router automagically. I am connected to Telstra Bigpond in Australia.

Under the "Diagnostics" page in the router config, I can resolve domain names.

My problems started when I upgraded my router from an old image (v1.00.00, I think), to v1.05.00. I have also experienced the same problem 1.04.xx.

I believe this is probably a bug in recent NetGear images, but cannot find anything on the Netgear site to support this idea.

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)