General discussion

DNS operation problem: Event ID 5774

By ejeckert ·
I am getting an event ID:5774 in the event viewer. It happens several times a day. I have looked at the MS RFC on it and they aren't much help. I have three windows 2000 servers getting this event. It is marked an error in the event log. If anyone has a clue to what to do and so on...I'm all ears and would really appreciate the help. The event is as follows:

Event I 5774

Registration of the DNS record '_gc._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.designphase.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 sun.designphase.com.' failed with the following error:
DNS operation refused.

Thanks
Erik

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by reference In reply to DNS operation problem: Ev ...

Your right, a quick search produced very little help! The first thing I usually do when I see similar messaages is run the 'netdiag /fix' command. You have to have 2000 support tools loaded from the CD. This utility has the ability to fix some minorDNS errors, but has come in handy on several occasions!
Good Luck!

Collapse -

by ejeckert In reply to DNS operation problem: Ev ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to DNS operation problem: Ev ...

I am going to steal the entire Comments section from Eventid.net on this error:

This error message may be generated in several circumstances. See Q259277 for a general approach on troubleshooting this. In some cases this may be caused by the security setting on the parent.local server being set to only use secure updates. Changing this to allow "dynamic updates" (instead of only secure) might eliminate the problem.

D.H.: (This) "Error occurs when DNS Server has its database in Active Directory Integrated mode, and is also a Domain Controller and network adapters have been changed in the system. Fix: Delete affected zones and recreate the zones. This will allow the NETLOGON service to successfully re-register the records that were being reported in the 5774 event."
Another newsgroup discussion thread suggested that the event was caused by the fact that the Active Directory Domain Controller running the DNS server did NOT point to itself as a DNS server (instead it used the ISP DNS servers). Changing the DNS server settings to point to itseld fixed the problem.
J.B.: I found that delaying startup of Netlogon service until DNS was started solved this problem. Just add DNS to the DependOnService entry in HKLM-System-CurrentControlSet-Services-Netlogon. This is described among other things in Q193888
D.K.: See the link below to Registry Tweaks for a description of the problem.
S.J.: "This event can occur when the IP address of the server is changed."

Please go to:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=5774
for a list of the links to various Technet articles on how to fix this.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)