General discussion

DNS Problem MS SBS 2003

By DouglasB ·
I can open Yahoo & Microsoft WEB from server but not from workstations. I'm sure it is a DNS problem but don't know how to fix it. I can't ping either of these WEB sites from any of the workstations. Checked network settings for adapters on the servers, tcp/ip, dns info is correctly entered. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to DNS Problem MS SBS 2003

if this is Small Business Server 2003 with or without ISA 2004 you have to run the CIECW Wizard to make connecting to the internet work right. The CIECW configures DNS, Exchange, ISA server and creates the Internet Users security group automatically. Though you can manually configure SBS, it takes many more steps than just running the Wizard.

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to

I have run the wizard (by the way, everything was working fine until my ISP changed their primary DNS). However, when I run it I end up with the wrong primary and secondary DNS, don't know why that happens. On the NIC connecting to my ISP I configured the new pri/sec DNS addresses and the second NIC to my local network was also configured correctly. Not sure what went wrong.

Collapse -

by mjost In reply to DNS Problem MS SBS 2003

Assuming a hardware NAT firewall configured as no DHCP., SBS is the DHCP and DNS server, the workstation joined to the domain and is setup for DHCP, DHCP is pointing everyone to the SBS for DNS and the correct Gateway, no prior server lan IP address changes since installed,

then the SBS client DNS is not pointing to itself causing this issue.

Do not configure the DNS client settings on the domain controllers to point to your Internet Service Provider's (ISP's) DNS servers. If you configure the DNS client settings to point to your ISP's DNS servers, the Netlogon service on the domain controllers does not register the correct records for the Active Directory directory service. With these records, other domain controllers and computers can find Active Directory-related information. The domain controller must register its records with its own DNS server.

Hope this helps.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)