General discussion

Do I have a choice of OSs on a HP C160?

By glcoday ·
I have a HP C160 Visualize workstation running HP-UX 10.20. I have a spare hard drive with nothing on it. If I replaced the root drive with the empty drive, what are the choices of Operating Systems that can be installed on this workstation? Thanksin advance for your help. Gary

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by eujay In reply to Do I have a choice of OSs ...

I work at a factory where HP P class and X class workstations are repaired. I ran your question by one of out Techs. .

C and X class were designed to run Windows NT. I have seen them run HPUX versions 9, 10 and 11. I am assuming that C class willbe a similar architecture to C and X. If this is so then you should be able to run Windows NT and HPUX 9, 10 or 11.

You could try putting the spare drive in as a second drive and install Unix on it. This way when the station starts by booting to different drives you will be able to run different OS'es on it.

Hope this helps

Eugene

Collapse -

by glcoday In reply to Do I have a choice of OSs ...

I appreciate your answer, but this isn't a NT workstation. This is a PA-risc Unix box already running HP-UX 10.20. I was wondering if I could have an option of running something else as well.

Collapse -

by dabutler In reply to Do I have a choice of OSs ...

Like what else do you want to run? It looks to me like the question was answered. Do you want to run linux on it? Then it would depend on if you could get the hardware supported under linux, which I believe you could. You can certainly run HPUX - 10.20 and 11.X on it.
You could set it up as a dual boot machine ( interrupt the boot process when you get the message "press any key to interrupt the boot process" to select the disk ) - so in essence, if you have a scsi chain with 5 drives, you can boot to 5 different OS's - the command would be like "boot scsi.N.0 - " where N is the scsi device number - If you don't know the scsi number, type "search " and that will return the devices in the scsi chain.
If you want to install the os to that second disk, then boot the core cd up and select the disk you want to install to.
The scsi Id is set on most disks via a jumper in the back.
good luck - hope this helps - but really don't understand the question

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Linux Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)