General discussion

Do you know what Event ID 1404 is?

By TomSal ·
I found the following entry in the system event log of my primary database server today:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Server Administrator
Event Category: None
Event I 1404
Date: 1/5/2005
Time: 3:06:16 AM
User: N/A
Computer: AMERICA
Description:
Memory device status is critical
Memory device location: BANK_1 DIMM_A

Now the funny thing is my co-admin just told me that "oh yeah that error comes up randomly, then goes away for a while". Now the server runs fine as far as we know - its doing its job, with decent performance levels too.

I know I need to run diagnostic tests on it but that has to wait until after hours....I also am prepared to buy new memory -- we already priced it out.

However, I can't find what exactly event ID 1404 is, I'd like know what it means "officially".

Please help.

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Do you know what Event ID ...

It means that the memory in Bank 1 DIMM A is failing ECC memory checks for some reason. DIMM could be going bad or not seated properly in the slot and "heat creep" has caused it to pop out.

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to

Thanks. I did re-seat the DIMMs, seemed like good solid connections were made, I was thinking it probably is some kind of ECC error - wasn't sure though. Thanks for the information.

Collapse -

by TomSal In reply to Do you know what Event ID ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

Normal condition ... or not

by cgaylord In reply to Do you know what Event ID ...

It is normal for ECC memory to *occasionally* have a single bit error that is correctable -- the alert is just ECC doing its job. The problem is that a *multiple bit* error will ruin your day. These single bit errors indicate a potential problem if they occur "too frequently." You could find someone to do the math, but basically if you see them happen regularly enough to say "it happens occasionally" then you should consider replacing the memory. If you are saying "I guess I've seen it a couple times", then you're probably okay.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)