General discussion

Does a 10mbps nic effect speed of 100mbp

By jake4313 ·
I recently attended a prep class for the A+ Certification Exam for hardware/operating systems. During a brief discussion on networks, the instructor indicated that a 10/100mbps network can be slowed down by a workstation with a 10mbps nic while others are using 100 nics. Is this true? If so, why?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by fofa In reply to Does a 10mbps nic effect ...

I don't have all the technical answers, but we have found this to be true in a limited way. It appears certain nic cards with certain version of rom's can cause a performance problem on that segment. But this has turned out to be a minor number in our environment with >1000 PC's.

Collapse -

by jake4313 In reply to Does a 10mbps nic effect ...
Collapse -

by James Schroer In reply to Does a 10mbps nic effect ...

There is a number of different things to look at but over all no matter what a 10mbps nic on any net work will slow it down to some point. First off if you are running everything at a 100mbps, wires, hubs, nics, etc and you throw a 10mbps nic in the middle the the fastest that the network can run is only 10mbps because of that nic. Now you can speed that back up by useing a switch instead of a hub on the network but it still will not be as fast as a 100% 100mbps network because the switch musttake time to "switch" between the speed. If you have anyother questions let me know.

James

Collapse -

Collapse -

by VladanM In reply to Does a 10mbps nic effect ...

I am running a mixed 10/100 environment with 60+ computers and I haven't noticed any slowdown as a result of using 10Mbit NIC-s and hubs. 100Mbit portion of my network performs just like it's supposed to. For example, ghosting on 100Mbit runs at arround 200 megabytes/minute, while 10Mbit machines ghost at about 50. It certainly depends on the actual topology, quality of hubs/NIC-s, etc. A faulty NIC would choke your network regardles of it's speed.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to Does a 10mbps nic effect ...

okay Jake, here's the short and simple. In amixed environment of 10/100, the lower will always take precedence so nics with the ability to run at 100mps will run at 10mps. Why? If that didn't happen, the nics running at 10mps could not run if the network was running 100mps. Either the network runs at 10mps or 100mps. Now, one can subnet-create two networks- one running at 10, the other at 100. My bet is that your instructor is giving you a troubleshooting tip. If you notice a slowdown on your network, first check your physical connections such as nic speeds operating. Then, if problem is not resolved, you can look elsewhere such as broadcast storms is wins or lmhosts are not used, browser elections, etc. I'm sure your instructor told you to always look for problems at the physical layer first. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Does a 10mbps nic effect ...

In a non-switched environment, it is true.

When an Ethernet node has something to say, it first listens for other traffic and starts to send when the wire is quiet. It listens for a collision and if one occurs, both transmitting nodes stop and wait for an interval before trying again.

A 10BaseT node will take longer to transmit a given packet and therefore other NICs on the segment will have a longer wait before they can send and this will slow down the network (although the effect will not be perceptible under most circumstances).

In a switched full-duplex environment this is not true because each node can start sending without regards for what anyone else is doing since there are no collisions.

regards!

paul

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next