General discussion

DOWNLOA Microsoft Outlook 2003: Lock it down in 10 steps

By Bill Detwiler Editor ·
Microsoft has made significant progress securing Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 but vulnerabilities still exist. This free download outlines 10 steps you can use to mitigate potential problems before they become major issues.

Here's a sample:

Number 10: Password protect your PST files - This is especially important for laptop users as the PST files could hold the keys to the kingdom if someone got their hands on your files. While Exchange users can't do this, smaller shops using Outlook with other mail systems can. To add a password to your PST file, right-click the top level folder and choose the Properties option from the shortcut menu. Click the Advanced button and, on the resulting screen, click the Change Password button. Enter the new password as well as its verification and click OK.

Download and review the list:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-1009-5842134.html

Then, join this ongoing discussion and let us know if this list provides helpful information and if there's anything we can do to improve the document's format or content.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

PST password

by sheiba In reply to DOWNLOAD: Microsoft Outlo ...

I do not know which version of an OS you are using or Office, but my WinXP Pro SP2 and Office 2003 has no option for passwords by right clicking the upper level folder. Advanced button shows indexing and encryption options. If your advice on this is wrong- then what in your article is correct?
Maybe you should be more specific?

Collapse -

Personal Folder Files freezing up in Outlook 2007

by kjrjr In reply to DOWNLOAD: Microsoft Outlo ...

I am using Outlook 2007 on a Dell desktop running Vista. I have 5 different email addresses in my Outlook and I ahve each of the associated .pst folders password protected. The two problems that im experiencing are:
1. When I open Outlook it immediately asks me for the passwords for each folder one at a time. When I start entering the passwords in usually get to the second box asking me for the password and Outlook freezes, I have to click the X on the box and force it to shut down. It usually takes one or two times of doing this and then it goes through and each box will appear and allow me to enter the passwords and everything will be ok. Its very frustrating though.
and 2: Sometimes when I close out of Outlook it will still be running in the task manager. I only know this because when I go back into Outlook and open it up, it will not ask me for the passwords for my .pst folders, telling me that it never fully closed down.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)