Question

drivers for a C571NR Compaq Presario notebook PC

By hivert_jp_usa ·
I own a C571NR Compaq Presario notebook PC
I want to get rid of Vista by taking the HD off the notebook and replacing it by another HD on which I will install XPpro.

What is the list of drivers I am going to need to load ( motherboard,sound card, video card.....& more ?)and where to find them.
Everybody try to discourage me telling me,impossible to know what they are !!& they perhaps don't even exist

PLEASE help me

Thank you in advance JEAN P

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

just go to www1.hp.com and you can get them all

by robo_dev In reply to drivers for a C571NR Comp ...

Software & Driver downloads
Compaq Presario C571NR Notebook PC

Collapse -

Dual booting Vista & Vista

by hivert_jp_usa In reply to just go to www1.hp.com an ...

Thank you for your answer....but...
HP does not have XP drivers for presarios that come with Vista.
Since my goal is to be able to have an External Media (HD or 9Gb USB stick )that can be dual booted,run, then taken away from
the notebook,I think the best way would be to use Vista.
When formatting the HD,the recovery discs allow you to completely restore Vista.
But do you think possible to use my recovery discs to install my Vista on the External Media.? I already changed the boot order but i am not sure what to do after formating the EM.
sincerely yours jean

Collapse -

The XP Drivers for your system are here

by OH Smeg In reply to drivers for a C571NR Comp ...

http://tinyurl.com/24mo87

But you will need a M$ Branded Install Disc not the HP Recovery Disc as they don't have all the required XP Drivers on them.

Col

Collapse -

Hp give you answers that

by hivert_jp_usa In reply to The XP Drivers for your s ...

Thank you for your answer....but...
HP does not have XP drivers for presarios that come with Vista.
Since my goal is to be able to have an External Media (HD or 9Gb USB stick )that can be dual booted,run, then taken away from
the notebook,I think the best way would be to use Vista.
When formatting the HD,the recovery discs allow you to completely restore Vista.
But do you think possible to use my recovery discs to install my Vista on the External Media.? I already changed the boot order but i am not sure what to do after formating the EM.
sincerely yours jean

Collapse -

Well just the obvious

by OH Smeg In reply to Hp give you answers that

The same hardware can come with different OS's loaded so if you gave the correct model number HP will have XP Drivers because both OS's where used on the model that you listed at least. Though maybe not in France but in the US certainly.

As for installing Vista to any form of External Storage Via USB it's possible but I'm not sure that it is desirable as USB is slower than the SATA interface that is built into the NB and allows the HDD to be read.

Though that is entirely up to you as far as it goes all you need do is point the Vista Installer to the External Media and tell it to install there you don't even need to format the media it will just install there after you select that as the install option.

You could always buy another HDD and remove the one fitted to the NB and replace it and then load XP to that f you like. Having the original Vista Install available would allow you to switch back easily.

If you want t slipstreamed install Disc you can make your own by using either this TR Article

http://tinyurl.com/54gjzz

http://tinyurl.com/5q2jsw

or you could use nLite to build your own Slipstreamed Install Disc

http://tinyurl.com/e2mo4

Granted that will only allow the option of installing the OS and not any additional Software but it's free and easy.

Just because HP doesn't want you to install Vista doesn't mean that you can't and I don't think that Hp would want to dig in their heels on this either in light of what the EU Courts have been doing to M%$ recently. You do have options if you want to avail yourself of them.

Col

Collapse -

To the point, comme disait mon professeur de logique! !

by hivert_jp_usa In reply to Well just the obvious

Dear Col,
First thank you to take time to answer me
I am going to go point by point.
_I have different adresses but I live in the states, and my compaq was bought here 8 month ago.
_I gave the correct model nber to HP and they say:no XP pro drivers for that model.
_I don't see any way to reach the serial ATA
on my laptop if I got you right.
_About replacing HD with another HD,that's not the point,( it's to have an Removable External Media )& beside that does not solve the problem of the non existing drivers for XPpro. I have a bootable XPpro.
_I did not get how to install Vista with the recovery disc,I have only this, or you are too fast for me,(I am old you know ) or you did not answer the question,or my english is not yet fluent enough.See, a lot of excuses.
Sometimes I need some step by step.
Anyway thank you again and if you have a little more patience,I sure will be happy to use it ...
JP

Collapse -

The link that I gave you was HP's Web Site for XP Drivers

by OH Smeg In reply to To the point, comme disai ...

For the model that you listed. So if HP is telling you that they don't exist something is wrong as HP's Web Site says that they do.

http://tinyurl.com/24mo87

XP Software & Driver downloads
Compaq Presario C571NR Notebook PC

As for the SATA Driver all you need do is make your own Slipstreamed Install CD by following the Directions here in a TR Article there are 2 Links one is for a On Line and the other is for a Down loadable Version in PDF Format

http://tinyurl.com/54gjzz

http://tinyurl.com/5q2jsw

Or a software solution called nLite available free here

http://tinyurl.com/e2mo4

With any of the above you can not only add the SATA Driver but all the actual Drivers to the Slipstreamed Install Disc though perhaps the nLite is easier for the beginner to use and you do have to read the instructions on line on how nLite works or how to use it whichever you prefer.

If you want to use Vista on a removable drive all you do is change the Boot Order to First Optical Drive second USB and third HDD, that way the computer will look first at the Optical Drive then the USB Ports and finally the HDD for a Bootable media of some description that allows the computer to boot from.

To install Vista on an external Media all you need do now is plug in whatever the external Media you want to use and insert the Vista Disc wait for the option to chose where you wish to load Vista and select the USB Media. The installer will then confirm to itself that it is suitable and then reboot and proceed to install itself on that Media if you don't touch anything on the reboot particularly when you see the Press Any Key to Boot From CD message that appears by default when the system boots with a Bootable Disc in the Optical Drive. If at that stage you press anything you will be returned to the initial Vista Setup process that you have just been in and will have to repeat the process all over again.

Of course if you have a Floppy available that works on that computer all you need do is press the F6 Key when the first blue screen appears on the XP installer and when prompted insert a Floppy with the SATA Drivers copied to the Root of the Floppy, that is just copy the SATA Driver to the floppy without a folder.

I hope that helps you understand how to load to some form of External Media. If you want more details post back.

Col

Collapse -

Exactly which

by IC-IT In reply to drivers for a C571NR Comp ...

model do you have?
C571NR seems to be the family.

Collapse -

C571NR : Is it or not the model number

by hivert_jp_usa In reply to Exactly which

To Mr bwilmot
That C571NR is writen on the left of the tactile pad ( flat mouse )on a stiker with some advertising like BUILD TO LAST /High definition/Wireless/High fidelity/......
On the back of the notebook,or under if you prefere, there is a "Service Tag" with:
--------------------------
Product : Presario C500
S/N........+ barre code
P/N..........+ barre code
Waranty :1 year
C571NR
Nothing more.So if that is not the model,I am at a loss.
Please let me ask same question :can I install Vista on an external media (HD or Memory Stick)withe my Vista Recovery discs.
Thank you for your interest in my problem
Cordialy yours JP

Collapse -

C571NR : Is it or not the model number

by hivert_jp_usa In reply to Exactly which

To Mr bwilmot
That C571NR is writen on the left of the tactile pad ( flat mouse )on a stiker with some advertising like BUILD TO LAST /High definition/Wireless/High fidelity/......
On the back of the notebook,or under if you prefere, there is a "Service Tag" with:
Product : Presario C500
S/N........+ barre code
P/N..........+ barre code
Waranty :1 year
C571NR
Nothing more.So if that is not the model,I am at a loss.
Please let me ask same question :can I install Vista on an external media (HD or Memory Stick)withe my Vista Recovery discs and if YES, HOW to do it.
Thank you for your interest in my problem
Cordialy yours JP

Back to Hardware Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next