General discussion

Dual 10/100 Ethernet Configuration

By twolford ·
I have a production server behind a PIX Firewall and need to use Secure FTP. The AIX box has two network adapters, one (en0) for internal network and the second (en1) will be for bypassing the firewall for Secure FTP. The problem is that once I configure the second adapter (en1)with a real world address, subnet, and default gateway the server is immediately disconnected from the internal network. Both cards are using the same hostname...I don't believe there is any way around that. Any ideas? Thanks!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ghislain.levesque In reply to Dual 10/100 Ethernet Conf ...

That might be your problem. I don't know to much about AIX, but verify in /etc if you have a file like hostname.en0 if yes in that file you should have an entry equal to your hostname, create a secound file hostanem.en1 and enter a second hostname for your server. that should solve your problem.

Hope this help

Collapse -

by twolford In reply to Dual 10/100 Ethernet Conf ...

Thanks for the info. It didn't really shed any light on what needed to be done. Thank you for taking the time to view the question and attempting to answer it.

Collapse -

by cpfeiffe In reply to Dual 10/100 Ethernet Conf ...

You can use smit to add the second interface and give it a separate hostname or do it on the command line. If you do it on the command line you will have to find the hostname.en* files or create them as suggested above. You will also have to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/netmasks to make the proper additions. If you do it by editing the files you will need to reboot before it takes effect.

Collapse -

Thanks for the info Charles. I did use smitty to configure the card. The hostname needs to remain the same for both cards. No way around that. The info you listed did help me in my attempts to configure the card but didn't actually work for me.Answer 5 shows what needed to be done. Thanks for taking the time to view and answer the question. It is nice to have people who will actually take the time to view and answer questions.

Collapse -

by rfiore In reply to Dual 10/100 Ethernet Conf ...

Each interface needs its own unique hostname and IP address. If you used the same hostname on both adapters, they both have the same address. In most UNIXs you can use an ifconfig -a to see what adapters have what IP address assigned to them (in Solaris and Linux the ifconfig program is in the /sbin directory).

Collapse -

Actually the hostname needs to be the same for both cards. The only addresses that will show on both cards are the Default Gateway, and DNS addresses. Answer 5 will explain a little more in detail. Thanks for taking the time to view and answer the question. Keep it up. We need more of us in this world.

Collapse -

by ux2x In reply to Dual 10/100 Ethernet Conf ...

if you are using bind or nis, you should look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf. There is a line in the file for lan(0). You need to make another line for lan(1).

the script should look something like
INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan0
IP_ADDRESS[0]="10.121.44.20"
SUBNET_MASK[0]=""
BROADCAST_ADDRESS[0]=""
LANCONFIG_ARGS[0]="ether"
DHCP_ENABLE[0]=0

then replicate it for the second lan card
INTERFACE_NAME[1]=lan1
IP_ADDRESS[1]="10.125.44.20"
SUBNET_MASK[1]=""
BROADCAST_ADDRESS[1]=""
LANCONFIG_ARGS[1]="ether"
DHCP_ENABLE[1]=0

obviously you have to set your subnet, DHCP, etc.. as required.

good hunting...

Collapse -

Lynn, the script rc.config.d does not exist on AIX 4.3. Although, you have given very detailed info and I like that. Your last comment is correct...."obviouslly you have to set your subnet, DHCP, etc...as required". This is critical. The required info must be correct or it will not work. Thanks for the answer. Keep it up!

Collapse -

I have figured out the correct configuration.
1) delete resolv.conf (if exists)
2) flush routing table
3) configure second card (en1) with live IP
Adresses. (the initial (en0) card will take
on the default gateway, DNS name and Address)
4) add static routes for internal network

Your Done!

Thanks for all of your answers. They were great.

Collapse -

This is the correct configuration for an IBM AIX v4.3 server. I used all info in your answers as well as info of my own. I am sharing this with you because it may help someone else. Thanks for all of your answers and keep it up. Helping one another is the way it should be.
Tom

Back to Linux Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next