General discussion

Dual Boot Win2000 and Win 98

By dda63 ·
I have two hard drives-first has Win 98se loaded, I loaded Win2000 Pro on the second, clean install, no problems,and made it master. Checked manufacturers-jumpers are set correctly. Updated the bios. Both hard drives show up in bios, however, whenWin 2000 boots, there is no option given which OS to boot to. In 2000 Explorer, only partitions of master hard drive are showing. I have not booted to Win 98-requires a physical change of hard drives, so I don't know if both drives are showing here or not. I have a Pentium 4, 1.7Mhz Gateway, 512MB Ram. 1st HD, IBM Deskstar 75G, second Western Digital 120G. Any Advice? Please simplify-I am not a newbie, but also am not seasoned. Thanks in advance, Debbie Clark

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to Dual Boot Win2000 and Win ...

Windows 98 needs to be installed on the first partition of the first (read Master) hard drive in order for this to work. Then install Win2K and your boot.ini file will be created which will give you the option of which OS you want to boot.

Collapse -

by dda63 In reply to Dual Boot Win2000 and Win ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by windanser In reply to Dual Boot Win2000 and Win ...

the system partition, Drive C that containes BOOT.ini file must be install on FAT or FAT32 partition if you are going to dual boot. Install win98 first on C:. y then you can install win2000 boot partition on antoher drive or another disk if you want.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by thee loopster In reply to Dual Boot Win2000 and Win ...

yes. they both have to be installed in the same hard drive to be able to see each other, and install win98 first also make sure you format both systems w/fat32.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by cul8rm8e In reply to Dual Boot Win2000 and Win ...

correct me if im wrong,you had win98 on first drive,installed the second drive and installed win2k on there, you then shutdown and changed jumpers to make second drive the MASTER?

if this is the case what you have to remember is that on your win98 drive you have a MBR which would allow you to do a dual boot and what you have on second drive (which you have now made MASTER has only boot files for that O/S (win2k

I suggest the simple sollution and change the setup of master and slave back to original config and you will find that a dual boot will be no prob.

if this is not the case then advise me as to exactly what way you have set this up and i can help you a bit more!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by cul8rm8e In reply to Dual Boot Win2000 and Win ...

correct me if im wrong,you had win98 on first drive,installed the second drive and installed win2k on there, you then shutdown and changed jumpers to make second drive the MASTER?

if this is the case what you have to remember is that on your win98 drive you have a MBR which would allow you to do a dual boot and what you have on second drive (which you have now made MASTER has only boot files for that O/S (win2k

I suggest the simple sollution and change the setup of master and slave back to original config and you will find that a dual boot will be no prob.

if this is not the case then advise me as to exactly what way you have set this up and i can help you a bit more!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next