General discussion

Dual boot with Windows Vista + Windows Server 2003

By emanueol ·
Hi all,

My typical machine configuration is a dual boot using XP for playing games and Server 2003 for work (im a developer).

Till now, the install order of several Windows versions in multiboot cfg was/is install from oldest version first and going up installing the newest OS version. So, in my case, I install XP and then after I install Windows Server 2003.

Ok, since i didn't had/wanted to install Vista betas, Im now wondering how can i have a dual boot fresh install with Vista and Server 2003 ?
(for the moment this is the topic im sharing with you all, in July 2007 when the new server version will come out then it will be time to investigate again how and i possible to have multi boot install using Vista + Longhorn).

Cheers, and look forward to see you comments
Emanuel

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Install Server 2003 first

by jerickson In reply to Dual boot with Windows Vi ...

Vista uses a new boot loader, so install Windows Server 2003 first, then install Vista. You'll then get a boot menu that offers you Vista or "previous version", just like if you had dual boot XP and Vista. Simple as that.

Collapse -

Thanks m8

by emanueol In reply to Install Server 2003 first

Ok, thanks Jerickson

Collapse -

XEON

by Brooklyns Finest In reply to Thanks m8

Make sure the machine has a xeon processor. I would take it another step in having dual xeon processors for the new OS's next year. I believe exchange 07 needs xeon.

Collapse -

hmm.. xeon..

by emanueol In reply to XEON

Oops you caught me there with the XEON advice.. I wan't aware of that product line.

I always evolved, developed and played games with Pentium Processors. And I was thinking on upgrading to some Core 2 Duo next year.

Is the xeon Assembler more or less the same as the pentium counterpart? if yes, then the diference should be more an architecture one (multiple processors configuration).

If xeon and pentium assembler is the same then is fully compatible with all intel compiled binaries out there.
Regarding your exchange 07 tip "I believe exchange 07 needs xeon.".. makes me wonder why? Shall it be because xeon contains some new extra assembler instructions? or is it just dur to a multi-processor architectural requesit in some way?

Cheers ~

Collapse -

hmm.. xeon..

by emanueol In reply to XEON

Oops you caught me there with the XEON advice.. I wan't aware of that product line.

I always evolved, developed and played games with Pentium Processors. And I was thinking on upgrading to some Core 2 Duo next year.

Is the xeon Assembler more or less the same as the pentium counterpart? if yes, then the diference should be more an architecture one (multiple processors configuration).

If xeon and pentium assembler is the same then is fully compatible with all intel compiled binaries out there.
Regarding your exchange 07 tip "I believe exchange 07 needs xeon.".. makes me wonder why? Shall it be because xeon contains some new extra assembler instructions? or is it just dur to a multi-processor architectural requesit in some way?

Cheers ~

Collapse -

64bit

by Brooklyns Finest In reply to hmm.. xeon..

Microsoft says Exchange 2007 will do 64-bit silicon only. This will support much larger mail stores and faster e-mail processing, but the downside ? especially for small businesses ? will be the need to purchase new servers. I believe the Xeon processor is somewhat different then the regular pentium assemblers.

Collapse -

Dual Boot Vista, Win 2000 Advanced Server

by stevesellsre In reply to Install Server 2003 first

Hello,

I already have Vista installed in a 31 gig partition of my Intel IMac. It came that way, it was a floor demo.

How can I install Win 2000 Advanced Server on that partition? Does Vista use NTFS?

Thanks, Steve - stevesellsre@verizon.net

Collapse -

Just wondering.....

by Hanzo21 In reply to Dual boot with Windows Vi ...

Hello,

I was just wondering what would you recommend on how big or what would be the size of the partition of the hard drive? What is the ideal partition hard drive size or recommendable size of the partition of the hard drive.

Thanks,

Collapse -

Partition Drives

by Brooklyns Finest In reply to Just wondering.....

The ideal partition for the os is 20gb create another 20gb for program files. I usually create a pagefile partition and make sure its 3* the memory of your workstation. The rest of the partition should be for data storage. Obiviously make sure the drives are mirrored.

Collapse -

Partition Drives

by Hanzo21 In reply to Partition Drives

Thank you sir, I appreciate your response. It's really helpful.

Thanks again,

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next