General discussion

Dual NIC confusion in Win 2003

By matt ·
I recently moved our websited to Windows 2003 Server Web Edition. The previous server had 2 NIC's with a presence on both the LAN and WAN. Under 2003 the websites will not function with the internal LAN NIC enabled.

How can set this webserver to have both a LAN and WAN presence? I understand there are some security concerns with this, but the current setup has fouled up how we update our websites.

Thanks,

Matt

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Dual NIC confusion in Win ...

haven't heard that one before.

Web servers by their nature are hacker/intrusion magnets.

So how to solve your problem. Use a 4 port ethernet switch with an uplink port in the DMZ area between the perimeter firewall and the intranetwork firewall.

Collapse -

by matt In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by matt In reply to Dual NIC confusion in Win ...

Thanks for your reply. In what way have you, "not heard this one before"? What i am basically trying to figure out is why this changed from Win2000 to 2003.

Our setup is fairly simply. No DMZ employed at this time and only 1 firewall. The External servers exist between the ISP router and the Internal Firewall/Gateway.

How do you update your web content?

Collapse -

by G... In reply to Dual NIC confusion in Win ...

Are you saying that the LAN is connecting to your server on one NIC and not through the Internet?
So the question would be: how do they access the page? With IP adress or name.
I guess you used a "name.com" or something like that then it could be a dns problem.
Try to access your server from the LAN with the LAN IP. If it works then it's DNS. If not, try to ping the server to see if you have contact and check eventually your firewall to see if you allow LAN to open web pages on that server.

Collapse -

by matt In reply to

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Dual NIC confusion in Win ...

our network is as I described. perimeter firewall, web server, Internal firewall, company network.

We update our web content by having the web guys creating a new web site, save the sucker to a cd then giving it to us. We take the CD over to the Web Server, throw it in, copy the new web site to a new folder folder, then adjusting the home folder for the virtual web site in IIS.

Only us guys whoe manage the whole shebang have access to the web server. Saves a lot of headaches. We don't have some web designer who's got access to the web server happen to decide one night to change the site while half plowed all the while his buddies are watching and get the password.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

that happened which is why we do it this way. We don't allow the web designers access to the site. If they can't use a program that allows them to see what the site will actually look like when they make the damn thing, then we don't need em.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

there's no reason why a small company or heck, a one man company who has a web server and a DSL connection can't place the web server in a DMZ and still add/change/remove/alter/ whatever. Walk over to the web server, sit down, log on and put the content in. If you want to do it at your desk, then get the IT guys to allow NAT redirect but the safer way is to just physically sitdown at the web server and load up content.

Collapse -

by matt In reply to

Collapse -

by matt In reply to Dual NIC confusion in Win ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)