General discussion

Dual processors Server 2003 TermServices

By LabRaT ·
I have a dual processor server (AMD Athlon MP 2200+) running Server 2003 with Terminal Services. I just noticed that Windows Task Manager only graphs for one processor--there is no option for "One Graph per Processor."

Does this mean both processors are not registered and running in the OS? Device Manager shows both processors and reports that both are working correctly. Why are both not graphed by the Task Manager? I found this while looking for a reason for a network slowdown--not really a problem with the Terminal Server but it is something that I found that doesn't look right. I have a single dual core processor running Server 2003 without Terminal Services and it graphs 2 processors so I'm worried this dual processor server isn't configured to use both. What do you think?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Dual processors Server 20 ...

Now what should happen is with any Dual Processor M'Board the OS should show a graph for each processor and if the Processors support HTT or are Dual Ore you should see 4 graphs for the CPU's. Having said that this only applies to Intel systems AMD work differently and I tend to ignore the readings that Windows puts up for AMD CPU's as they are not always correct.

The last AMD Dual Processor M'Board that I used only used to show one running CPU in Task Manager as well but that was a horribly unreliable setup that constantly needed attention and was with the first version of 2003 I don't know what has happened since as I've never used one of those setups again and I ripped that one out of service before it was 6 months old as it was costing far too much in Down Time.

In that case the owners son who was as CS student insisted that AMD was the way to go for his father and that it was better and cheaper which it proved to be neither but his father had to pay the bills till he worked out that it was costing him too much money. The Intel Unit that I put in it's place with the same brand M'Board hasn't given an ounce of problems since it went in and is getting close to the end of the current Tax Cycle now so it's been there for around 3 years and other than routine Patches and the like I've never had to go out there and do any work on it.

Buy from my observations I would forget about what Windows shows as running and just allow it to do it's job. If the system is showing 2 CPU's at POST then Windows is using both CPU's.

Col

Collapse -

by LabRaT In reply to

But how do I know if the OS is utilizing both processors like it should? In Windows NT, the OS stated explicitely the number of processors registered and being used. Does Server 2003 Terminal Services do this?

Collapse -

by lowlands In reply to Dual processors Server 20 ...

I don't totally agree with HAL. You should see both CPU's in task manager (or 4 in case of dual core).

Seeing two CPU's in POST does not mean your OS will be using two. And from what you describe here, it looks like it's actually using only one.

One thing to check:
In device manager under computer do you have a ACPI multiprocessor PC listed? Or does it say ACPI Uniprocessor PC?

It needs to be the first.

Collapse -

by LabRaT In reply to

The Device Manager does report a ACPI multi processor PC and it does report 2 processors, all working correctly.

I will accept this answer as it doesn't look like anyone else has more to say. You did point me to the DM, which I hadn't thought to check, but I still don't know if both are being used. I will assume both are working since the DM shows both in working order. I just wish I knew if that means the OS has registered both and is using both. This situation still bugs me.

Collapse -

by LabRaT In reply to Dual processors Server 20 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)