Question

Easy Client transition from Win 2000 domain to win 2008 domain

By swohlers ·
Is there a registry hack, microsoft tool or some other easy way to transition user PCs from the single name Win2000 domain (DOMAINXYZ) to the FQDN required by Win2008 (DomainXYZ.xyz.com). All PCs are XP Pro. Unfortunately, in the test, to move the user requires a "new" profile.

The "quickest" method is to a)backup the profile using the "settings and migration wizard", changing the PC to a "workgroup", then hooking into the parallel network with the 2008 server, creating a "new" profile, and restoring the backed up data using the data an Settings and Migration Wizard. This is a small company with about 25 PCs.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Upgrade same domain or use ADMT

by Churdoo In reply to Easy Client transition fr ...

Your process is as if you're deploying a new server as the first server in a brand new AD domain. Still with 2008, you can ADPREP your 2000 domain and bring up your new server as an additional DC in the same domain, and this will not require new profiles. But this method will maintain the improper naming of your old domain which it looks like you're trying to get away from simultaneously.

Next option, best of both worlds, is to bring up the new server in it's own new properly named AD domain as you first suggested, but then use the ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool) to migrate users and computers to the new domain. With this method, the users SID history will carry forward from the old domain and they shouldn't need to build a new profile on the migrated desktops.

Collapse -

Re: Upgrade same domain or use ADMT

by swohlers In reply to Upgrade same domain or us ...

I probably should have given a little more info.

The Win2k server has a bit of "junk" in it, including a poor directory structure, user names never deleted, groups never used, etc. I was trying to set up the new server with the same login names/passwords and the domain as stated earlier, but was trying to keep the new server as clean as possible without going down the ADPREP method that looked like it may carry too much flotsam and jetsam from the old server. I started reading some of the documentation on the ADMT, but I wasn't sure how selective I could be in what was transferred and if it was the right tool. The document seemed more a cure for insomnia - many technical documents are seldom geared for the small business.

If I could export user names and machines, (printers, print queues and print drivers would be nice as well) load them into the 2008 server (standard, x64) and avoid having to use the file and transfer wizard to back up the profile, remove each machine from the domain (Win2k), put it into a workgoup, put it on the new network with the 2008 server, and add it into the "new" domain, thereby creating a new "profile" on the PC and restoring the profile info...

So, after rambling above, is this still the proper tool?

Collapse -

Makes sense; ADMT still good

by Churdoo In reply to Re: Upgrade same domain ...

Your plan makes sense. Yes ADMT still worth you looking into, documentation notwithstanding; cure for insomnia indeed!

With the ADMT, you can be as selective as you want for which users, workstations, groups to bring forth to your new AD and you should be able to avoid copying 25 local workstation profiles on as many workstations.

Printers will be a problem though, and especially if you say the new server is an x64 server. I myself have not got 64-bit and 32-bit drivers to play nicely together sharing printers on Winders x64 Server. If you figure that part out, post away, but thus far I've deployed a separate x32 server (even if virtualized on the same hardware) to share out my printers to my x32 clients. Lazy perhaps but haven't invested the time to sift through it all.
Good luck!
--C

Collapse -

ADMT looks good, printers for 32 bit WinXP definately a problem

by swohlers In reply to Makes sense; ADMT still g ...

I have browsed through a little more of the main document for ADMT v3.1 and think it may work for what I want, but it requires a bit more of work and a little testing. I certainly was hoping for a registry hack that would allow both domains right off of the bat. I thought server 2008 was more user friendly....

I have started looking into printers, in some cases getting 64 bit printer drivers were a trick, but I have not been able to understand MS reasoning behind not being able to add 32 bit printer drivers. What should take a few minutes has been hours researching. A couple of articles mention "methods". I have tried using a WinXP machine to try to upload a cache of 32 bit drivers per one of the articles without much success:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2008/02/12/ws2008-printer-driver-packages.aspx

or

http://www.ditii.com/2009/02/14/sbs-2008-how-to-add-32-bit-printer-drivers/

I will do one of three things:

1) Install a virtual server or XP machine to manage a few items like this that won't work.

2) Reformat and go back to Server 2003. Server 2008 is quickly becoming more of a problem than a solution.

3) Maybe... find some sort of hack. If so, I will post.

Collapse -

Thanks for the article

by Churdoo In reply to ADMT looks good, printers ...

That looks pretty easy; I'll have to try that!

Relative to your 1 of 3 things list ...

#2 implies that 2008 is the problem, it's not.
a) you would have the same workstation user profile issue in 2003 or 2008.
b) The printer problem is related to x64 and you would have the same problem in 2003 x64. You would not have this printer issue in 2008 x32

I suppose you may consider 2008 x32 or I like your first suggestion of deploying a separate x32 virtual server to be your x32 print server, if that article solution doesn't work for the print drivers.

Collapse -

Re: Thanks for the article

by swohlers In reply to Thanks for the article

I have tried the "easy" article late in the afternoon. It did not go well. I was able to "see" the print queue, but not "connect" to it or utilize the queue in order to attempt to upload the drivers. I used a Windows XP (32 bit) machine, since that is the only OS on the site. I was unable to get the 32 bit drivers loaded. As was mentioned in the article, I think I would have to use a 32 bit Vista machine that would talk a little nicer to the x64 2008 machine. My concern was that the 32 bit Vista drivers would not be compatible with the XP machines, so I thought using a 32 bit Vista machine would be a moot point, anyway.

I have thrown in the towel and decided to go the virtual machine route with a 32 bit server 2003 for some of these "Housekeeping" items. I have two other programs that don't like the x64 2008 OS.

The server is new from Dell and they nicely provided the disk. I also called them on the problem and they said to call MS. At that point, I made the virtual machine decision.

I didn't want to go the 2008 x32 route as with this new quad core server and 8gig ram, it wouldn't take advantage of it (only about 3 gig is accessed on an x32 machine).

I didn't want to use the virtual machine - I was hoping to keep this server cleaner and more straight forward, but I don't really see other options at this point. My hope is as PCs age out, I can get to a point where the virtual 2003 server can be eliminated.

As for the domain switching issue, I will run a test on a PC later this week when I get the main server issues settled. I will repost with some commands should it work as I hope it may.

Thank you so much.

Collapse -

ADMT not the complete answer

by swohlers In reply to Makes sense; ADMT still g ...

I found the tool I think would work. It is on the Win2k3 resource tool kit. It is called moveuser.exe. Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displayLang=en

It allows you to change the domain the user is connecting to without changing all the desktop, mydocuments, etc. stuff. ADMT is looking like it would really be more worthwhile if both the old and new servers were on the same network and you were migrating users, groups, etc. I may have to use it to migrate the computer sids, but was trying to not pollute AD on the new server. For the dozen users, I would rather create each one.

Thank you.

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)