General discussion

eMachines M5310

By Intel Inside Me ·
I have a eMachines M5310 notebook, that heats up badly. Even just turning it on It already gets hot. But if I try to play any game, It heats up even more than just turns off and I have wait 1 hour until it chills and try to use it again.

Specifications
CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon? XP-M 2400+ Processor with QuantiSpeed? architecture
(, , )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft? Windows? XP Home
Display: 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 ? 800 max. resolution)
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2100)
Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW Combo (CD-read 24x; CD-write 24x; CD-rewrite 10x; DVD-read 8x)
Video: ATI? RADEON? IGP 320M
64MB (shared) Video memory
Sound: PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers
Network: Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN, 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
Pointing Device: Touchpad with vertical Scroll Zone
Ports/Other: 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA external connector, 1 S-Video Out, Microphone In, Line Out, PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I and type II)
Dimensions: 1.36"H x 14.0"W x 10.0"D
Weight: 6.5lbs. with battery
Battery: 8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Intel Inside Me In reply to eMachines M5310

PS. It doesn't have a cooler installed.

Collapse -

by yeddish In reply to eMachines M5310

Try checking your internal fan.
Another thing to check for is a loose heatsink over the processor.

These both require opening the laptop, which can be a bit tricky. If you've never opened one before or have never worked on small electronics, I don't recommend learning on a system that you depend on.

If you do try to open it, make sure that you write down where each screw goes as you can lose track fast.

Thanks.
-Joel

Collapse -

by Intel Inside Me In reply to

I will try thanks

Collapse -

I will try thanks

Collapse -

by joev In reply to eMachines M5310

I agree with Joel's Answer. The unit is more than likely overheating - and to avoid baking itself, it is shutting off to cool down.

Apparently eMachines is aware of this heating problem with the M5310. The fan uses some very tiny copper fins to help dissipate the heat from the CPU. If the airflow through these fins becomes at all obstructed, the unit will not run properly. Even just a little bit of dust causes a problem. You should be able to dissasemble the system and clean the fan assembly - which should correct the overheating issue.

You may or may not have to remove the case for this - I believe that the processor is located on back left side of the case. Grab some compressed air and **** it out to get the dust out of that heatsink.

Good Luck!

-joe

Collapse -

Cleaning didn't help.

Collapse -

Cleaning didn't help.

Collapse -

by joev In reply to eMachines M5310

I agree with Joel's Answer. The unit is more than likely overheating - and to avoid baking itself, it is shutting off to cool down.

Apparently eMachines is aware of this heating problem with the M5310. The fan uses some very tiny copper fins to help dissipate the heat from the CPU. If the airflow through these fins becomes at all obstructed, the unit will not run properly. Even just a little bit of dust causes a problem. You should be able to dissasemble the system and clean the fan assembly - which should correct the overheating issue.

You may or may not have to remove the case for this - I believe that the processor is located on back left side of the case. Grab some compressed air and **** it out to get the dust out of that heatsink.

Good Luck!

-joe

Collapse -

I tryed thanks.

Collapse -

I tryed thanks.

Back to Desktop Forum
24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next