General discussion

email in Small Business Server 2000

By gary ·
Does anyone know how to bypass Exchange Server while sending emails? I have a customer running SBS 2000 set up as xyzco.com domain. His web site is hosted by another ISP as xyzco.com and they also handle his POP3 mail accounts. Exchange Server retrieves the POP mail fine and internal email works fine. The problem arises when there is a POP account that does not exsist on the Exchange server. Specifically, a remote office has an email address of jsmith@xyzco.com but when someone tries to send anemail to this address they recieve an error message back from Exchange that there is no such address.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

SBS e-mail troubles

by pc_answers In reply to email in Small Business S ...

I don't know if you are using outlook 2000 for your email? I used Outlook 2000 and had a similar problem. I had it set up with exchange and internet e-mail.
My solution was to right click the outlook icon (on the desktop) and select properties. Select the delivery tab. Under recipient addresses are processed---Select your internet e_mail and move it up to the 1st position. Then apply. Check to make sure your internal mail still delivers properly. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

POP EMAIL in SBS 2K

by Axis Tech In reply to email in Small Business S ...

In Small Business Server 2000 running Outlook 2000 as the email client you have 2 choices CW Corporate Workgroup and IO Internet Only, You need to set up or switch to CW or Corporate Workgroup mode running in that mode you can add a new service suchas a POP 3 Internet Email account and you can still have an internal Exchange email running in the same profile as well. The POP 3 account if setup properly will bypass the Exchange server while the Exchange account will still check the Exchange Server for internal email. If you want the return/reply email address to be the Internet account you will have to use that address in all appropriate areas in the POP 3 properties. Tech Pro Guild has several excellent online books on Exchange Server 2000 that have a ton of very helpful info, hopefully they will add a Small Business Server 2000 book soon. Good Luck!

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)