General discussion

EMail stuck in Outbox - EX 2000/OL 2000

By Steve Cody ·
I am working on a problem for a friend of mine. He has a customer who is using Windows 2000 sp2 Server with AD, Exchange 2000 sp3, and Outlook 2000 clients. He has about 10 users.

None of the Outlook clients are able to send email via the Exchange Server. They will only need to send email internally. Any email sent by them on any computer just sits in their Outbox. They can access all of their folders that are stored on the Exchange Server. The server has no connectors. It's just doing local mail. All services appear to be running properly.

Any help? All points go to who can help resolve this! Thanks!
Steve Cody

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to EMail stuck in Outbox - E ...

humm..First is a question. Is Outlook configured to use Exchange? [re: When you first run Outlook on a client computer, Exchange Server was picked, and account names were verified? If so, Check you DNS foward lookup zone. Your Domain name and NOT a * [wildcard] should be the root zone in DNS [see Q289045} If a * [wildcard] is in the Root zone in DNS, SMTP won't work. If you have a * in the foward lookup zone, just delete it.

Second, you say you don't have any connectors but, you should have, by default, SMTP & POP3. Use telnet to verify that SMTP port 25 is available.

Exchange must review the email addresses via AD to determine if the address is internal or external [hense how to route it]. SMTP is used. Try configuring the SMTP connector to use DNS to route each address space and the local bridgehead is the default virtual SMTP server. Also, verify that the default virtual server is running [again use Exchange System Manage, expand server, expand protocols, expand SMTP, right click on default SMTP virtual server. If start is not greyed out [greyed out of course means it's running] start the virtual server.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to EMail stuck in Outbox - E ...

Let us know how this goes

Collapse -

by Steve Cody In reply to EMail stuck in Outbox - E ...

Thanks for the help. The SMTP service was definitely the problem. WinProxy has it's own SMTP service that was interfering with the MS SMTP service.

It's fixed! I appreciate it.

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to EMail stuck in Outbox - E ...

There does not appear to be a single reson for this. Do you have both Internet Mail and Exchage service set up? That has been known to cause problems.

Here's some trouble shooting steps:

OL2000: How to Troubleshoot Mail Stuck in the Outbox Q195922

http://tinyurl.com/2gwg

OL2000: (CW) Email Does Not Leave the Outbox Q195778

http://tinyurl.com/2gwj

Collapse -

I already read these KB articles as well as many others. They didn't help. Thanks.

Collapse -

I'll look into the DNS issues you mentioned. I've already read the KB articles on the topic.

One thing I suspect may be the problem is that WinProxy is running on the server. That may, and probably is, keep the SMTP service from running. If it's not running, and is required to, then I can see how the Exchange Server may believe that it cannot direct the mail.
The clients don't communicate with the EX Server via SMTP, so I don't know why it wouldn't take the mail. There is only one Exchange Server, and no external addresses. All delivery is local.
I'm checking into the WinProxy issue.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)