General discussion

EMM386 not installed

By micahfay ·
Every time i reboot i get an emm386 not installed message. I think this is extended memory manager. How do i correct this problem... running windows 98 on a 40gig harddrive with 512mb ram. Thank you for your help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

by saihib In reply to EMM386 not installed

Take some memory out of your machine if you can. Reboot and see if the error goes away. It sounds like Windows is choking on too much memory.

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

by micahfay In reply to EMM386 not installed

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

by Ann777 In reply to EMM386 not installed

Look for a line in your CONFIG.SYS file similar to the following:

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE NOEMS

With HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS working, it gives you the ability to move drivers and programs that would usually reside in conventional memory up to the upper memory. To do this, you simply add HIGH to the lines loading up the drivers. For example, in the CONFIG.SYS file, a driver will be loaded by DEVICE=. To load this driver into upper memory, you call it up by DEVICEHIGH=. In AUTOEXEC.BAT, you can place a program in upper memory by adding LOADHIGH to the line that runs the program. Most drivers can be moved to upper memory, including CD-ROM, mouse, etc.

But it needs to be in the proper place for Windows to find it. Search your c: drive for emm386 and make sure the above line is correctly input with the path of the file:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

Or...

DEVICE=C:\Win98\emm386.exe ?????

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

by BobHo In reply to EMM386 not installed

Emm386.exe is a DOS expanded memory manager. Unless you are using old DOS programs that require it you don't need it. Win98 certainly does not need it.

Try this. Boot to DOS. Go to your root directory and rename config.sys to config.old and autoexec.bat to autoexec.old. Win98 doesn't need either one of these files and they basically only load (and allow) DOS memory functions. The autoexec.bat file might be loading some DOS programs prior to Windows but you might not need them anyway (unless you have old DOS programs that you run under Windows but you can specify memory settings for those with a pif file).

Reboot your system and see what happens. On all of my systems running Win98 I delete the config.sys and autoexec.bat files automatically and I've never had any problems running any hardware or software.

Let us know what happens.

Enjoy,

DrBob:&gt

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

Thx so much.....this got rid of that annoying message is finally gone....=D

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

The complete message is "emm386 not installed - unable to set page frame address"

Collapse -

EMM386 not installed

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)