General discussion

Encrypt forarded e-mail in Outlook 2000

By jweber ·
We are running Exchange 5.5 Enterprise with Outlook 2000. My problem is this... I have e-mail being sent to an Outlook account from our Mainframe. This e-mail needs to be encrypted and forwarded to an outside agency. I have all of the Digital IDsand Public/Private keys from VeriSign. I created a rule in Outlook to do the forwarding and set the account to encrypt all out going messages. When mail comes into the account it is forwarded but not encrypted. If I run the rule manually through the Rules Wizard and select the Run Now command it works perfectly. Why doesn't it work automatically? Am I missing something?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by MCSE2kgrl In reply to Encrypt forarded e-mail i ...

Filters are simply rules on how to handle incoming messages. Most current E-mail programs have a filtering capability. So do some LAN-based mail programs, such as Lotus cc:Mail. Typically filters are used to direct messages to certain folders or mailboxes automatically. It helps you organize by putting messages in their proper place, and keeps you from missing important messages amid the unimportant ones in your Inbox. Filtering can particularly help with mailing list messages and with Spam.A reply filter is an excellent way of automating sending information back to someone, based on a specific request. These filters return a template or standard message that is set up in advance. Several attorneys I know use this method to return their PGP key to those who want to exchange encrypted E-mail. (PGP, Pretty Good Privacy, is an encryption technique that uses two keys: public and private. To exchange encrypted mail, you must use the person's public key when sending the message.) For example, your filter could look for "send your key" in the subject line, then automatically return a message containing your public key. You could then publicize this capability in your E-mail signature text, along the lines of: "For my PGP key, send E-mail with the subject: SEND YOUR KEY."

Handling mail from mailing lists is also a great use of filters, particularly since mailing lists can generate many messages a day. And if you subscribe to several lists, your Inbox can easily get swamped. For this you'll have to look carefully at the list messages you receive, and find what can uniquely identify those coming from the particular list. This may be the To field, which contains a list address. You may also be able to filter on the From, ifthe mail is shown as coming from a list address.

If you have more questions, email me and we can discuss it

Angela

Collapse -

by jweber In reply to Encrypt forarded e-mail i ...

I understand the concept of rules and filters. Why does my rule forward but not encrypt the message automatically? It works fine if I go to Rules Wizard and select "run this rule now" (it both forwards the mail AND encrypts it.)

Collapse -

by MCSE2kgrl In reply to Encrypt forarded e-mail i ...

There is a nifty little program out there that could work for you . I don't know any other way to do it automatically.

Encryption Plus for Email is the ONLY one-step email encryption plug-in for MS Outlook 97/98/2000 (not Outlook Express). This handy little program gives you the option to encrypt your outgoing messages with 'just one click!' And your recipient does not need any special software -- just the password.
http://www.moochers.com/index.html?w95emailtools.html try it and let me know

Collapse -

I am trying the program now. So far it has not worked unattended. I am working with the developer now. They seem very eager to help.

Thanks again

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)