General discussion

Encryption in Sql 2000

By panks55 ·
I want to encrypt my site user passwords which r stored in a table Login so that when anyone wants to see the passwords he will see only encrypted not the actual one.But the admin can see the actual passwords by some means.I am using Sql server 2000and ASP as the programming language and my site is situated at VSNL india.So pls give me some solution for encryption and decryption also??

regards
pankaj

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Encryption in Sql 2000

by Sempf In reply to Encryption in Sql 2000

pankaj,

See my article on the topic of encryption with VB at this URL:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00820010521sem01.htm

No matter what you do, if it is encrypted in the table, it will appear encrypted. You'll need to write a small VB app with the decryption routine for the admin to view the passwords.

The download of the encryption DLL is available on my website, www.pointweb.net.

HTH

S

Collapse -

Encryption in Sql 2000

by panks55 In reply to Encryption in Sql 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Encryption in Sql 2000

by limatik In reply to Encryption in Sql 2000

Point is, what you put in the database is what you also see.

The essence of encryption in applications is that you should first encrypt data before you insert these in the database, and when getting the data from the database, you should decrypt it so as to view "human readable" data.

I suggest that you create encryption and decryption functions in your ASP code. This should help secure your database data aside from the security that the SQL database itself implements.

You may createyour own encryption algorithm or better yet, implement n-DES, there are lots of resources about this on the Net.

good luck.

Collapse -

Encryption in Sql 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Encryption in Sql 2000

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)