General discussion

error 0x5,0,0,0x1 on NT4 installation

By javier030664 ·
Hello everybody, i am new on here, I was trying to install windows NT4 workstation to my computer a HP Pavilion 6609 in a multiboot enviroment..i got a hard drive of 40 Gib seagate,I've got a first primary partition FAT of 200 MB,second primary parttion of 4 GB FAT32 for win98 already installed and the rest is an extended and i made a first logical partition of FAT16 to install WInNT4 workstation, also have another partition FAT32 at the end of the enxtended partition but whenever i try it appears a problem, i tried the installation with winnt/ox on this way i don't have the problem of winnt.sif and the installation goes until i get an error 0x5.0,0,0x1, ah! of course i hide win98 to install that..does someone know what this error mean and how to fix it? thanks for your help any suggestion is welcome:)
javier

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ghemant In reply to error 0x5,0,0,0x1 on NT4 ...

Dear Sir,
It seems a problem of faulty ram,please check the faulty ram using MEMTEST86, download it from www.memtest86.com , is a free tool and u can create bootable disk also.
or your harddisk may have Bad Sectors also.... this are two possible cause.

Collapse -

by javier030664 In reply to error 0x5,0,0,0x1 on NT4 ...

Thanks Hemant@ for your help but I still didn't figure out what is wrong and why i cann't install WINDOWS NT4 in a pavilion in an multiboot enviroment, I tested my RAM memory and it is ok and about the partition table, well that can be the point cause i don't know what is the best values on CHS of my disk,I know it is determined by the bios automatically, is it possible cause i got a LG dvd-rom is blocking the Windows NT4 Installation? I might try to install DOS first then NT4 in a logical then install Windows 98....thanks for any help

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to error 0x5,0,0,0x1 on NT4 ...

To install NT4, the partition must be a Primary partition and NOT an Extended or logical partition and it must not be FAT32 either.
You can have upto 4 Primary partition on a HD.

Collapse -

by javier030664 In reply to

It is not true..Windows NT4 can be installed in a logical partition but it needs a FAT16 partition where to put the boot files...

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)