General discussion

Error 10061 as a result of SoBig E

By DosHog ·
I had the SoBig E virus. My first clue was that I could not send email. I can receive ok. My OS is ME. My prime mail client is OE 5.5. I tried Outlook 2002 (used by my Ipaq). Same problem. I installed Eudora and got the same result.
I tried restoring an older copy of my registry. Same result. System restore had no valid points.
When running the virus scan, I seem to remember it affecting a winsock exe. I think that this is related to my problem. I can surf and ping ok. I can telnet except to port 25. The exact error is:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'account name.com', Server: 'smtp.my isp.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I tried reinstalling IE and it died at 69% several times. Complete system restore is not an option.
Any ideas before I reinstall the OS. eg. what files (dll's exe's etc are associated with my problem. M$'s knowledge base did not pinpoint anything.

Thanks in advance

DosHog

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Error 10061 as a result o ...

Check the network settings to see if their are double instances of the email server listed,insure that you have the correct server listed from ISP,because deleting the wrong one could mean the lost of emails

Collapse -

by DosHog In reply to Error 10061 as a result o ...

As stated, installed new email clients with single user. Also unable to telnet to port 25

Collapse -

by pctech In reply to Error 10061 as a result o ...

Hi

I suspect that the virus is still active. This is what I found concerning this virus.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.e@mm.html

I would follow Symantec's directions, to the word, for removing this virus and resecuring your system(s).

There is one item that concerns me the most and that is this virus's ability to collect your passwords. I would strongly advise that you cange ALL of your passwords, especially any that relate to financial transactions.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Removal as per symantec's tools/instructions did not change the problem

Collapse -

by Tim.Doyle In reply to Error 10061 as a result o ...

Clean your system first. Then re-install IE and OE.

After all is said and done, go out and buy a copy of NAV...keep it updated too.

Collapse -

As stated, IE install fails at 69%

Collapse -

by maddiuex In reply to Error 10061 as a result o ...

check for the bugbear virus, this little bug is coming back, goto housecall.antivirus.com and scan your computer. will fix it

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Error 10061 as a result o ...

Similarly, when you start the e-mail client or try to receive a message from your Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) server, you may receive the following error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
Server:'your_POP3_server', Protocol:POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): NO,
Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e
CAUSE
The client connects to a port that is blocked or unavailable on the mail server. If the client is attempting to send a message, the blocked port is 25, and if the client is attempting to retrieve a message, the blocked port is 110. Refer to the error message for the protocol and port numbers.
WORKAROUND
To work around this behavior, make ports 110 and 25 available. Ports 110 and 25 are available by default when the Exchange Server services start. The ports 110 for POP3, 119 for Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP), and 143 for Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) are automatically opened and made available on the Exchange Server computer when the Information Store service starts. Port 25 is automatically made available when the Internet Mail Service starts. If these services do not start, then the ports are not available.

The fix for SoBig virus will block the port
See the fix for virus

Collapse -

by DosHog In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)