General discussion

error 1926 c:\config.msi access errors

By jcmoffitt ·
Hello fellow I.T. professionals.

I have a Windows 2000 workstation with all the latest service packs and patches applied with 512 mb of ram and tons of drive space attached to a Windows NT 4.0 domain. At some point I think that either my Windows Installer program got corrupt even though I am not sure how. When I try to upgrade or uninstall Office 2000 professional OR install any 32 bit application that depends on the Windows Explorer I get the following error. error 1926 c:\config.msi. Error 5 and a text message along the lines of it can not modify the attributes to this file because of security issues. I figured this was a no brainer fix and have spent the last 2 days beating my head on the desk. The administrator account locallyand my domain account have FULL control over both C and D drive. I am clueless as to why this is happening. I searched Technet but came up dry yesterday. I could never find error 1926 in their database. My C drive has 390 mb free and my D drive has 11.61 gig free so there should be plenty of drive space. Any and all assistance would be appreciated. I REALLY do not want to slick the drive and start all over again. I tried to download the Windows Installer version 2 from Microsoft and reinstall it but when the install process sees I already have that version it stops the process.

Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Update on problem

by jcmoffitt In reply to error 1926 c:\config.msi ...

Ok, in Discovery Zone today I found out that my C drive was down to 340 mb free. Out of curiosity I checked on how big the swap file was and it was set for 756 mb to 1566 mb. I moved the swap file over to D, rebooted and now this P600 is flying along a lot better. :) Go figure. The darn swap file makes a difference in speed. My original problem still remains the same except for now the error is showing up as a generic "cant open the file access error" but no longer gives the path to c:\config.msi path.
I am still trying to figure this out....

HELP ME PLEASE.... Thanks

Collapse -

Late reply

by Haran In reply to error 1926 c:\config.msi ...

I came across a similiar issue - I resolved it by creating a file called config.msi under C:

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)